Resale Value Of Gehl Machines?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by nelsongm, Jul 22, 2005.

1. nelsongm

nelsongm LawnSite Member

I just bought a 2005 GEHL 4840 SKID STEER a week ago and I am just wondering of their resale value. All comments/input are greatly appreciated.
  2. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

Are you already thinking about selling it? What are your thoughts on the machine because I am actaully considering a buying a Gehl.
  3. nelsongm

nelsongm LawnSite Member

No, just wondering if I purchased a machine that has a good resale value just in case down the road I may have to sell or trade it in for a much bigger machine.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I think I would have checked on resale value BEFORE buying a piece, but I think with Gehl it'll be decent, better than say Thomas or ScatTrak or something of that sort, but definately not as good as Case, Cat, Bobcat, etc..
  5. iowacatman

iowacatman LawnSite Member

I think you are right Scag48. I recently have done some resale value research for Cat, Bobcat, Gehl, Deere, New Hollands, ASV, and Takeuchi. Gehl seems to have the lowest amoug all of those brands, though I would agree that they would be better than Thomas.
  6. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Gehl's resale is lower than Deere's?
  7. iluvscag

iluvscag LawnSite Senior Member

I would think.
  8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Do all Gehl skids come with Deutz engines? While they are good engines, they have been a pain to get parts for (I have one in a trencher).

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

We ran Gehls before Caterpillar entered the market. Great machines. I think in order to answer your question accurately you need to research regional markets. Our Gehl dealer went under in our area, and then Cat came on strong. In Illinois where we lived, Gehl had numerous dealers who offered great support and a viable market. In an area where there is no dealer support you would have a hard time flipping any machine regardless of brand.
  10. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Yes, for the most part. The largest two (7610, 7810) use Perkins; the smallest few (smaller than 3935) use Yanmar; the middle range (4640, 4840, 5640, 6640) use the Deutz.

Of course, if you want a tough skid made by Gehl that doesn't use Deutz, you could always go with a Mustang... which now features Cummins power in its 2066, 2076, and 2086.