Rescue Grass and Poa Annuo in St. Aug.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by villagegreenlandscape, Feb 21, 2008.

1. villagegreenlandscape

villagegreenlandscape LawnSite Member

I'm having trouble with rescue grass and poa annuo in St. Augustine. I've been spot treating with Atrazine at a rate of 1oz per gallon but am not seeing any results. Any suggestions?

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Rescue and Poa are both cool season grasses. Is the rescue grass (Tall fescue family) too big to pull out the clump? There is a product that sod farmers use but is illegal on residential that controls crab and other grassy weeds but I can't post it here. Try pulling and using an early pre-em like Dimension and yet another application in about 6-8 weeks. Ric is the true expert on the St. Augustine. Maybe he will give some insight. Keep the rescue grass mowed and clipped so it cannot produce any seeds and keep pulling it. Atrazine will not touch it. You might try WICKING it with Roundup or MSMA Be Careful, MSMA will kill St. Augustine in a heartbeat

3. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

Go to Lesco website and look at the label for Revolver. I have not used it yet but I know of guys around here who use it to take Fescue and annual Bluegrass out of Bermudas and Zoysias. I am not sure if it is labeled for St. Aug....check the label. Hope this helps.

4. wrivers

wrivers LawnSite Member

Certainty is the only thing I know of that will control these weeds safely in St. Augustine. You may need two apps this late in the season for acceptable control. Certainty has excellent turf safety on St. Augustine. I have used it many times in hot Texas summers with no turf damage whatsoever.

Ted,

Revolver works great, but it is only labeled for bermuda and zoysia. (**I have used it in a mixed lawn (Bermuda, St. Augustine) before where the desired turf is bermuda and saw no damage to the St. Augustine from a labled rate**)

http://www.monsanto.com/ito/pdfs/Certainty4.pdf

5. villagegreenlandscape

villagegreenlandscape LawnSite Member

It sounds like this is pretty late to be tackling the rescue grass and poa annuo. I may just wait for the heat to take it out rather than making repeated trips. Is there a better time to be making an application?

6. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

The best thing to do of course is try to prevent it with a pre-emerge app in the Fall. I usually start mine in Oct. If you can do that ,you will save yourself a lot of headache. I'm not sure about the rescue grass but atrazine will take out Poa if it is not the triazine resistant variety. However, prevention is the best policy if possible. Telling the customer it will die with the heat also works for most customers and is also an option. If you go the atrazine route be sure you follow labels directions and I recommend you use a 8004 lp t-jet tip to apply for spot treatment with hand sprayer. When spraying with a bullet tip the tendency is to spray to heavily and this could do more harm than good...good luck

7. tgnb

tgnb LawnSite Member

+1 on the Certainty. It's the best post-emergent I've seen for poa yet. I like it better than Revolver. We use it on St Aug, Centipede, Zoysia, and Bermuda with no ill effects. Keep it handy if you deal with sedges later, too. It's pricey, but it actually works well.