1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Research for South Florida Lawn Service

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Borinquen7, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Borinquen7

Borinquen7 LawnSite Member

Hello Everyone here,
    First of all I'de like to thank you ahead for taking the time to read and answer a few questions..
    I am 34, and have been in the lawn service industry since I was 18... Worked for the same place in mass for years as a lead foreman. I am considering opening a lawn service bizz here . I am just nervous as I want to do everything the proper way. I plan on getting a license, insurance and pay all my taxes and such, I can handle the paper work for those things as well as obtaining equiptment... I am wondering what I should do to let people know I am in bizz. Flyers, bizz cards ..... are these effective
    I am living in sunny south florida very diffrent landscaping here. What would be a good resource to learn about the florida landscape..
    Bagging...Not trying to knock anybody down,,,but DAMN I see some pretty beat up lawns out here,,, I see companies leaving the lawns with clumps of grass,, is this common practice. Is bagging a option in s.florida.. In mass I bagged 20 something lawns a day, filled my f-350 dump every two days...
    I had so many ?'s and now I can't think of any, but the will come to me ... Thank you guiys very very much..
    Jose Cruz
    Hopefully one day,, owner of his own little american dream
  2. Sunstate Lawn

Sunstate Lawn LawnSite Member

The number one way to learn about landscaping in your area is to visit your local nursery. When you find one that's willing to educate you and help you then you've found a nursery you need to be loyal to. As far as bagging, if a St. Augustine lawn is on a cycle, then bagging shouldn't be necessary. What you're probably seeing a lot of is one time cuts that homeowners didn't want to pay for. Most lawns are beat up because of the strict water regulations for the past few years.
    I'm originally from Miami. Where in S florida are you?
  3. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

I am in Punta Gorda. I would also recommend getting a book called florida plants. Keep it in your truck and quiz yourself identifing the plants on the propeties you maintain. As far as bagging, it shouldn't be necessary if the property is being maintained on a regular basis. I use gator mulching blades. If I do see excessive clippings on a lawn I maintain, I use the blower and lightly fan the area or will rake it up. As far as advertising goes, I would definitely have a sign on your trailer and business cards on you at all times. Sell yourself/service to everyone you meet.
  4. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

Can you tell me more about this Florida Plants book. Who wrote it, where can I get it?
  5. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

You can PM me for some information.
  6. Borinquen7

OK well it's absolutely official..... It's 2:30 in the afternoon, and I am at home,,,not at work, got the word today that we neither lay off 3 guys or we go down to 20hours a week, Sucks but what can you do......So now after just getting on this web site and months of thinking,, I have decided to make the step in Lawn Service..:weightlifter:...
    I will go in tomorrow and speak with the Boss Man and ask that we be able to work our 20 hours within a 3 consecutive days period, so mon tue, and wed or wed, thu, and fri, so that I may dedicate my days to Lawn Care.
    First since I am just starting out and not doing it full time should I register, as a business, or should I just wait and see how things go , and then register.. I ABSOLUTELY WHAT TO BE LEGITIMATE...I do not what to hurt the industry,just be a productive member of it...For the all the Florida Business owner where on MyFlorida.gov is this info located if it is there...
    I live In Cape Coral, a few minutes from Fort Myers and about 2 hours west of Fort Lauderdale...
    I am also currently looking for local equipment to buy,,, I do not have 10's of thousands of dollars but I do have cash... So if anyone here local has something of interest, please feel free to email me at Borinquen717@yahoo.com
    Thank you once again for your advice.....
    Jose L Cruz
  7. Borinquen7

Rob7233 How to you PM here :hammerhead:
  8. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

i cut all st. augustine and dont bag so u dont have to worry about that.

as far as cutting in fl., good luck! lawn services down here are dime a dozen and we have to keep prices lower to compete. going rate for service on a 1/4 acre lot where i work is $80 monthly (in fl we bill monthly, not sure if u do that in mass since a lot of northerners bill per cut).
    again good luck.
  9. okeefl

okeefl LawnSite Member

10. Borinquen7

Wow 80 bucks really.... Thats amazing in mass we had no lawn that was less then 65 dollars a week, and thats 4 times a month,, but again they where estates..there are 1/4 acre lots everywhere here, now is that 80 dollars a month for bi-weekly cuts, that would make it 40 dollars a cut,,, I was thinking about 35 to 45 dollars for 1/4 acres lot depending on condition of lawn, how muchh weed eating i do,,, Also I was thinking for the full price amount of 35-45 dollars I would on a bi-weekly basis pick weeds, do a little extra here and there to show that I'm not just blowing threw there lawns..I feel Like I need to just get at a minium for a 1/4 acre lot 35 dollars,,, I've learned from here to basically stick to what I think I'm worth,, the way I see it I want the clients that are willing to pay the extra money for a quality service,, I just hope it holds up in life not just in theory