1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Research on organic costs

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ctan, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ctan

ctan LawnSite Member

Hi all,

Im a new user to this forum. I have been doing research in the organic lawn care industry. I have been googling but data seems hard to come by, based on your experiences, I was hoping for some answers. I'm also trying to break it down in the difference of fertilizer vs pesticides

*Do It Yourself means doing the application yourself and Do It For me is having it professionally done

FERTILIZER
    For an Organic Lawn - Do It Yourself, how much does it cost per treatment for a 5,000 sq ft yard?
    For an Organic Lawn - Do It For Me, how much does it cost per treatment for a 5,000 sq ft yard?

PESTICIDE
    For an Organic Lawn - Do It Yourself, how much does it cost per treatment for a 5,000 sq ft yard?
    For an Organic Lawn - Do It For Me, how much does it cost per treatment for a 5,000 sq ft yard?

*pls answer based on the consumer's perspective
    I would really appreciate the help!! Thank you all

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Your research needs to have a system of care that accomplishes the result desired. Organic herbicide applications are evidently a waste of money.
    Synthetic fertilizers are a quick fix 'happy meal' thus requires more frequent application.
    Building the fertility of the soil and maintaining a good fertility in the soil is a different philosophy altogether. In organic philosophy the idea of 'winterizer' or 'starter' becomes a non-issue.
    Weeds eventually can be brought under control with building of the turf (in theory) Spot spraying or manual weeding are as environmentally friendly as anything, I suppose.
    Too many factors that make the comparison like apples and oranges.

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

$12 per 1000