Research on organic costs

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by ctan, Sep 21, 2007.

1. ctan

ctan LawnSite Member

Hi all,

Im a new user to this forum. I have been doing research in the organic lawn care industry. I have been googling but data seems hard to come by, based on your experiences, I was hoping for some answers. I'm also trying to break it down in the difference of fertilizer vs pesticides

*Do It Yourself means doing the application yourself and Do It For me is having it professionally done

FERTILIZER
    For an Organic Lawn - Do It Yourself, how much does it cost per treatment for a 5,000 sq ft yard?
    For an Organic Lawn - Do It For Me, how much does it cost per treatment for a 5,000 sq ft yard?

PESTICIDE
    For an Organic Lawn - Do It Yourself, how much does it cost per treatment for a 5,000 sq ft yard?
    For an Organic Lawn - Do It For Me, how much does it cost per treatment for a 5,000 sq ft yard?

*pls answer based on the consumer's perspective
    I would really appreciate the help!! Thank you all

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Your research needs to have a system of care that accomplishes the result desired. Organic herbicide applications are evidently a waste of money.
    Synthetic fertilizers are a quick fix 'happy meal' thus requires more frequent application.
    Building the fertility of the soil and maintaining a good fertility in the soil is a different philosophy altogether. In organic philosophy the idea of 'winterizer' or 'starter' becomes a non-issue.
    Weeds eventually can be brought under control with building of the turf (in theory) Spot spraying or manual weeding are as environmentally friendly as anything, I suppose.
    Too many factors that make the comparison like apples and oranges.

3. Norm Al

Norm Al LawnSite Bronze Member

$12 per 1000