Reseeding after Crabgrass Preventer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JoeKidd, Apr 22, 2008.

1. JoeKidd

JoeKidd LawnSite Member

We used Lebenon Turf Ferts with SCU Team Crabgrass preventer last week where I work in Southern NH. My boss seems to think it won't affect our reseeded areas he had us do the following week. I tried to tell him what it says right on the bag that reseeding should be delayed at least 8-12 weeks but he won't listen to me. What do you guys think?

2. SoonerTurf

SoonerTurf LawnSite Member

get another boss :cool2:

3. CHiP's

CHiP's LawnSite Member

once the pre-m has been watered in and activated i have been told that if you areated or hard rake spots to be spot seeded that this will break the pre-m barrier and you will have ok results, but not as good as if you hadn't used pre-m of course. this is just what i have been told.

4. Lower Cape Lawn

Lower Cape Lawn LawnSite Member

You'll be re seeding those areas again. Good luck!

5. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

i've heard aeration doesn't break the barrier. research anyone?

6. nmarum

nmarum LawnSite Member

I'm trying to figure out what to do about this too. I have plow damage that needs repaired, and since it went straight from winter to summer here this year, I have to put down my pre-em without time to get those spots going.

I'd appreciate any suggestions on this topic as well.

7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Rake up the dead sod, put down a layer of black dirt, seed, starter fert and say a prayer

8. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Tell your boss he's nuts, and to go out and get his pesticide license !
    ( Because anyone who has their license already...and made such a decision...has to be INSANE, or simply 'doesn't care' about the end-results-rather, just the $$$$$ in their pocket !!!)

Even though "Team" is about the cheapest quality 'bottom-of-the-barrel' pre-emergent there IS on the market today...doesn't mean it doesn't have a substantial seeding RESIDUAL!

(Team was originally a LANDSCAPE pre-emergent, by the way....that was later bastardized into 'Team Pro'...which has proven to be about as equally useless in turf ! :cry:
    BOTH products should be in LANDSCAPE, and not TURF !!)

The only way you're going to be able to "nullify" the pre-emergent effects of the Team that's been applied...in order to have any HOPE of seeding success...is the application of (either granular or liquid) activated charcoal; watered in according to directions on the label.

9. nmarum

nmarum LawnSite Member

Agreed. Team sucks. Dimension for me.