1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reseeding after weed killer application

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by NiceSpot, May 21, 2008.

1. NiceSpot

NiceSpot LawnSite Member

Wondering if someone could help me out. I sprayed a yard with Ortho Weedbgon max last sunday, 5/18. I was going to reseed this saturday, 5/24. Will it be too soon? The ortho container recommends waiting four weeks before reseeding. Don't have four weeks to wait. I plan on aereating first, then slit seeding and overseeding. Thanks....
  2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Most of the time you can get away with a reseed after the first rainfall of 1/4" or more. I know the label says 30 days, but I'm speaking from experience on my own lawn. Try it at your risk.:waving:
  3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

In order for you to have a somewhat reasonable rate of success with re-seeding following a chemical application you need to break the physical bond of the pesticide to the soil.
    Rent a walk behind power rake like a Bluebird, rake in two directions, like an X, collect the clippings, fertilize then re-seed.
    Simply slit seeding is not a sufficient action to break the chemical bond, you will need to aggressively power rake first.
    As an extremely positive benefit, seed to soil contact will be greatly enhanced.
  4. NiceSpot

NiceSpot LawnSite Member

Thanks... I'll try the power rake idea. Is the power rake also known as a dethatcher machine? Also, should I aereate after or before power raking?
  5. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

If it was ME, I would core aerify prior to the power raking - that way the power rake will bust up the cores making clean-up a whole bunch easier.