Reseeding entire lawn

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by steppinthrax, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

I have never had good luck with this plan, the grass seed doesnt grow well on top of the old grass, I think if you harley rake it, it will be better in the long run
  2. steppinthrax

steppinthrax LawnSite Member

Do I need to apply hay or straw? Or can I just get away with keeping it moist?
  3. lawnwizard001

lawnwizard001 LawnSite Member

-Spray everything with a roundup or of the likes
    -Wait till everything is dead then mow and bag
    -I would add soil on top of all the dead weeds
    -Wait like a week or two depending on how much rain you get so all the roundup gets flushed through the soil or it will prevent your seed from germinating or it will kill it when it does germinate
    -Don't use straw cause then you will just introduce a lot of weeds to the area when you just got rid of them all
    -Water it!
  4. steppinthrax

steppinthrax LawnSite Member

What type of soil should I use (manure or top soil?)
  5. lawnwizard001

Im not exactly sure. I would have to research it. Maybe someone else can answer that. You will have to be careful where you get it because weed seeds can also be trapped in it. Maybe till the dirt already there instead of adding new? then rake it flat, seed, and roll.
  6. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats not correct man. Basic Roundup will not stay in the soil, It is systemic to the vegetation and only works through surface contact. Once sprayed, it breaks down extremely quickly. I have succesfully seeded one day after spraying RU quickpro with no ill effects

Contact your extension office for a soil sample. A Pool kit WILL NOT WORK. It will not test iron content, nitrogen content, type of soil, ect. You dont need to harley rake the yard IMO because it is a sandy yard w/o ruts. If you were going to sod, or change the grade/remove ruts, then that wood be a good idea, but not for this application.
  7. lawnwizard001

I would still wait a few days before laying seed for safe measures. I was told by customer service to wait 7 days to seed after applying the basic roundup. That can obviously change depending on what type of roundup you use or any glyphosate product for that matter. Germination time of the seed and the type of soil also plays a role.