Reseeding in Michigan

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Kestas, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Kestas

Kestas LawnSite Member

Last summer I had my yard dug up to replace the house sewer line. The ground has settled, I'm almost finished leveling it. Whew - it's all clay! Once level, I'll have topsoil trucked in and spread on the clay.

What grass seed should I use? It's under a big elm and half the lawn was in heavy shade, some in partday sun. The old lawn grew beautifully before it was dug up. I wish I knew what was growing in my backyard, I'd like the same thing. Unfortunately, I'm not good at identifying lawn species. Also, when should I seed the backyard?

I'd like to do this right and do it once!

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

use a fescue. That is best shade tolerant. You should probably use a blend of fescue and kentucky bluegrass. Believe it or not the best time for lawn renovation is late summer, early fall. You can do it in the spring as well. Usually cool season grasses need at least 55 degrees or warmer temps to germinate good. When the forecast call for about 7 to 10 days of good 55 or higher weather I would seed.

One thing that worries me is the clay and top soil situation. It could result in a perched water table.

3. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

By fescue, he means fine, red NOT tall.