reseeding lawn

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cbaek, Apr 21, 2008.

1. cbaek

cbaek LawnSite Member

My parents bought a new house a couple years ago, but I was away at school and I wasn't able to help them take care of the lawn, so they pretty much haven't touched it for two years other than mowing the lawn. My parents wanted to get landscapers, but since I'm going to be back home now, I wanted to try to do it myself and save them some money. The only problem is that I'm totally new to lawn care, other than mowing the lawn.

So far, all I have done is dethatch the lawn this past weekend. The grass is pretty thin, and it is about 50% green and 50% brown. From what I have read, I was thinking I would aerate, reseed, then fertilize the lawn. Thoughts?

When reseeding, first, I don't know what kind of grass to get, and second, I don't really know what the process is... I've read that I should cut the grass short, spread the seed, then............... Some places have said to cover new seed with some clear plastic until the new grass comes in, but we have a pretty big lawn, so does that mean I have to cover the whole lawn with plastic? Another place said to use a roller to push it into the dirt, and I think that would be a more plausible solution...

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

What type of grass is the lawn? If 50 percent is zoysia, it will still be dormat and brown, the other half that is not zoysia will be green. If thats the case. If there is no zoysia in the lawn and half is brown or dead, then I would just kill the lawn and start over.

Decide what you want to do, either start over or save what you have, just dont place plastic on the lawn or you will be starting over. Post again once you know what you want to do and you can get more clear help.

3. cbaek

cbaek LawnSite Member

How do I know what kind of grass I have? I asked someone at Home Depot and told them I didn't know what kind of grass I had, and they said it was probably Kentucky Blue Grass.

I would prefer to save what I already have instead of having to start all over. If it's going to end up being too expensive or ridiculously too much of my own personal labor, my parents are willing to hire Scotts or TruGreen or something like that.

4. fastcat

fastcat LawnSite Senior Member

anyone that give u a guess as to what kind of grass you have with out ever seeing it turn and walk away and dont take any advice from them. post pics of the lawn on here and you will have an answer in 10 minutes.

5. Lawncop26

Lawncop26 LawnSite Member

Posting a pic would help, zoysia is thick like a carpet, almost like a indoor/outdoor carpet and would still be brown. Whenever theres a fire and they cant figure it out, they blame the electrician, When ever a Home Depot employee is asked to identify a type of grass, oh it's probably KBG. They dont know, the people on this board know, so you came to the right place. I would hate to see you fert. zoysia if its still dormat, you could harm it. On the other hand, if you decide to start over, if you do it your self, It's not as expensive as you think, just kill the entire lawn with some round up, wait for it to die, mow low, aerate the heck out of it, and spread some per.rye, the quickest to germinate, place some starter fert. and water. The way I have just explained is the no frills way of course. A pro would probaly do it differently and of course it would cost more, labor, better seed/fert. topdress etc... Identify the grass and post a pic if possible. Not trying to be a pita, just trying to steer you right.

6. cbaek

cbaek LawnSite Member

The first two pictures are of the front lawn from our 2nd floor. The second two pictures are of the back lawn from our 2nd floor.

After dethatching, I watered each side for about 30 minutes a day, and it rained once. It does look a little less brown than before...

DSC00892.jpg

DSC00893.jpg

DSC00894.jpg

DSC00895.jpg

7. cbaek

cbaek LawnSite Member

The first two pictures are of the grass in our back yard. The second two pictures are of the grass in our front yard.

DSC00901.jpg

DSC00902.jpg

DSC00903.jpg

DSC00904.jpg

8. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

doesnt look to me like you need any reseeding at this time,
    just some proper maintenance will work wonders for your turf.

start reading some threads on here
    g/l

9. cbaek

cbaek LawnSite Member

What kind of proper maintenance? I'm totally new to lawn care... I know HOW to mow a lawn and HOW to water it (i.e. walk across with the mower/put out a springler and turn it on), but I don't even really know what height at which to mow, how often to mow, how often to water, how long to water, etc...

I was going to use the Scotts Turfbuilder 4-step program and just use the instructions on there. Someone from Home Depot told me that a lot of landscapers don't even really do anything other than use that. Would that be enough?

10. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

Looks to me like you may be mowing a bit too short. I would cut it at around 3"-3 1/4" personally. Also It looks as though the lawn is in direct sunlight all day. Watering twice a day would be ideal, early morning, and night, but if you are really pressed for time, try a heavy dousing of water early in the morning, hope this helps.