Reseeding lawn???

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by FrankenScagMachines, Feb 6, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Hi,
    I'm wanting to reseed two acres, about 2/3 of which is level and the rest is hilly. I have a garden plow and garden disc on one garden tractor, and a tiller on another garden tractor. It is my lawn not a customers so it's not a big big deal but never done this before. From my experience with both machines, it seems the tiller would be better to scrape the surface and then I could use my push blade to get rid of all the little clumps of grass? Then use the disc or tiller set high to loosen the surface, use the blade to level etc... the lawn is real weedy and i want to seed it with rye hopefully. how is this done exactly?
    1) what time of year is it done?
    2) have you ever done this before, and how hard is it?

What are your thoughts and ideas? thanks a ton,
    I have plenty of time to do this and I might just do a portion of the yard at a time. thanks for any ideas, tips or hints or instructions!
    Eric

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

u may have time but how about money? also where are u gonna put all the dirt and grass u dig up? i would reccamend maybe using weed killer then waiting and aerating then seeding? best time to seed i believe is around september. u might want to do a search, i believe i asked the same exact question before. also good idea to practice on ur own yard!!!!!!

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Scottie,
    I decided just to do the front part of the yard. We had some pipe layed in it and seeded it a year ago or so and it looks like a patchwork quilt lol.. it's my own lawn.
    Eric

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with Scottie. Put down a good "Weed & Feed" late Spring/early Summer. Wait about 2 or 3 weeks, then aerate it well.

Re-seed with about 250 lbs. per acre. If you can, water it a lot for a week or so.

5. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

make sure u dont hit any pipes, and dont water it TO much.

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Thanks guys. Once we hit a telephone wire in the yard when we were tilling topsoil to seed for that pipe and the wire was near the surface, tiller chopped it and they fixed it free cause it wasn't at least 6" deep. We were expecting an important call then lol so my dad's an electrician, he temporarily fixed it and we didn't miss it. Oh yea, I don't have an aerator, but I wonder if my disc would work. I think it would, I have heard of people doing this before, i may try it sometime. BTW, lawn is getting scraggly, may have to mow it :D :) :cool: Thanks,
    Eric

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Just wanted to know how your disk worked as a aerator?:D

8. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

well ya want a nice lawn here is the method i use an it works well you can reseed in spring or late summer /early fall late august or early september. august/september are the best seeding times cause the temp is starting to kool down in the evening hours an promotes great germination.in the spring just watch the temp if its too hot you'll burn up the grass seed. ok first killout with round-up kill the entire yard .use the roundup pro 3 ozs. to a gallon works well . when the yard is good an dead then its time to reseed . once i kill i usually wait 14 days by then its brown an dead an ready . when you reseed use a powerseeder an seed at 6 pounds per thousand sq.foot an remember to always cross seed . an by the way use a good fescue seed ( falcon,rebel,millenium, mustang or a custom blend).after you seed you should see some germenation within 7 days, after the 14 day you need to fertilize with a good starter fertilizer. after you seed make sure you water heavy for the 14 days an then everyother dayuntil germenation is nice an full . ok you got all that !!turns out a nice yard promise ya !!