1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Reseeding/renovating lawn...How to? Need Help PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Fairway Lawns, Mar 19, 2006.

1. Fairway Lawns

Fairway Lawns LawnSite Member

I have a lawn that is mostly weeds and splotchy grass. The customer wants to completely redo the whole lawn ~ approx 2k sq ft. The cust. has previously laid sod, scarified the soil and spread seed, and over seeded. None of these methods have worked considering we have this problem now.

Now....I have considered a couple of options
    1- Light spraying of round-up to kill existing growth, (What do I do with leftover weed/grass debris? Rake up or do nothing?), aerate, then slit/over seed, low N growth/starter fert, straw.
    2- Aerate, spray selective herbicide, then slit/over seed, low N growth/starter fert, straw
    3- How would I go about prepping for Hydro seeding?

What have you guys done that works well? ANY help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
  2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

for 2,000 sq ft.
    1 round up everything
    2 wait 10 days
    3 sod cut and remove evrything
    4 add topsoil
    5 seed, starter fert., and straw
  3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

we would aerat 4 times, seed 6-8 lbs per 1000 starter fert, top dress. roll. teopdressing with organic compost the perennial ryes germinate 3-5 days. 7 on fescues and 15 on blues. if done april 1st , lawn will ook amazing in 4 weeks. this job would take 1 guy 45 minutes to do, topdressing 2,000 sq feet would add2 hours to the job
  4. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

When you say 'slit and seed' are you describing a spike aerator (not to be confused with a plug aerator) with a spreader mounted above it? I have heard of slit seeding before but do not know anything about it...:usflag:
  5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

6. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

Ryan makes a slit seeder,which I rent from the local equip. rental yard for
    $75 per day.I try to do 3 or 4 places to fill up a whole day for my trouble!
  7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

if ya need help just call me i will get ya rollin i have all the equipment , my cell is 270 304 6841 or 421 9747 n louisville thanks george