resetting valves on a stihl?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ACA L&L, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

I think i need to reset the valve on two of my sthil 550's. We have spark, carb is good but they wont start . They have one season maybe 1 and a half of use on them. Anothe lco suggested this may be the case, so i have never done that and was wondering if someone could give me a few pointers.

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I think something else is the matter, but that's just me.

3. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be surprised if you had valve issues too. Manual says adjust valves at 139 hours. Why 139---who knows.

Check the fuel lines and make sure you aren't kinked anywhere.

4. ACA L&L

Ive checked the lines and filter, maybe i missed sumin.

5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Try a new plug in it as a cheap check. Valves on them don't go bad often. Second thing to check is the screen in the exhaust. They get clogged often and will prevent the unit from starting. Need to make sure the units aren't being idled for long periods or that the right oil mix is used to prevent clogging.

6. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

Try removing and cleaning or throwing away the spark arrester screens.

7. ACA L&L

screens were taken out the day i bought em. The valves would not be the reason for the blowers not starting? They were getting bounced around in the trailer. I think they may have bounced one two many times? I wont have a chance to get to them until sat am so i will post what i see when we crack that blower open.

8. Robebob

Robebob LawnSite Member

if it is less than 2 years old it should be under the manufactures warranty, mine wouldnt start after i got caught in a rain heading home from the a hospital job, it had spark when i took the plug out and checked it, but couldnt make enough spark when the cylinder was under pressure. did it get wet driving in the rain? i swaped out the coil with one of my good running units and thats what it was. changed it and fired right up

9. ACA L&L

Ok Tested both blowers myself, No spark. is there a place online anyone recomends to order a new starter/coil for the BR550 Stihl blowers. There is no way the dealer will warranty this. He just reorganized his biz( i should say stihl pulled there products) so he has his own problems.

10. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

No other dealer for Stihl close by? The warranty is good at any dealer and could save you some $$$$$. List on them is about $103.