Residental Lawns On Saturday?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by XOFMOT, Jul 17, 2001.

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

Here is a question for all of you.......

A customers lawn is scheduled to be cared for on a FRIDAY.....Heavy rains and thunderstorms prohibit you from going there.....When do you do it?....SATURDAY? wait and fit it in on MONDAY?....

Do you call your customer up and tell them you will not be able to address thier property due to weather? Should that be a clause in a contract?

I only got one customer at this time, so help guide me the right way....Thanks All!
  2. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

Only time I work on saturday is when I get rained out a full day during the week and yards are still due. Even then i just do the yards I am behind on.
  3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

ditto ....... we just worked last Sat ...... first time in 3 weeks .....(Rain) .... usually we try to pack extra yards in when the forecast shows rain late in week or just any day we are done by late Friday .... we work hard all week Sat & Sun off is Family time ....better to work to live than to live to work :->
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would do it Saturday. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to mow if it's growing fast. Since you only have the one lawn, you could do it whenever, but when you get a bunch of them, I would want to get caught up. I hate being behind.

BTW, we got RAIN today. :D

On the last lawn it started raining when we just started it. By the time we got done, it started pouring and as soon as we headed home, the sun came out. We did get 1/4" which will never help a lot, but it's a start. More coming tonight maybe, also tomorrow and thursday we have a chance. :)
  5. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

I make it a rule to finish the weeks work that week if at all possible. I also try not to work any later than noon on saturday. If all else fails, call the customer and ask them what THEY would like and go with that.

6. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Tom- Can you mow this person on thursday normally, so you can have friday as a make up day? I prefer not to mow on fridays, and dont unless it rains. People dont complain, because i just TELL them when they are to be mowed. (politely of course). If it has to be mowed on fridays, and it rains, sure, do it saturday, i have done it a few times with no complaints.
  7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

when i was young sat. was my production my customers know unless a tree is laying in there living room ,
    its going to wait until monday.thats the day i get everything ready for the next work week.including myself. later
  8. carl28

carl28 LawnSite Member

Don't work on saturdays seems to be the general concensus here well it ahsn't worked for me in nearly 12 years we work satudays and sundays from april to october we do however rotate these weekend assignments so everyone has some time off every month. This however is the north east and we do get plenty of time to rest in the winter when it isn't snowing that is and one of our 150 or so customers isn't calling to say they need sand for thier parking lot or snow removed for the next BIG STORM or a truck needs to be moved or somethings broke or..........................................................
  9. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

I will not work on weekends unless there is something of major importance. (Just my policy, any one who wants to work 7 days, go for it). I can always manage to fit in work that is behind due to rain, down time with equip., etc. throughout the week. I would put that account onto Monday's schedule. Even if you have sixty accts. and are working solo, just make out your work schedule for that day and start early and or work late in order to get that days work load done. My contracts state that in case of inclement weather, the property will be serviced the next available day. No biggie. I have to get the fishing, golf game, cookouts and party time in on the weekends. I don't mind busting my arse all week but weekends are down time for me.
  10. XOFMOT

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

My feelings on this subject are as most of all yours are...KEEP SATURDAY FOR YOURSELF.

Saturday seems to be a day to sit back/ relax/ play with the kids..and so on. PLUS I bet that most RESIDENTIAL customers don't want to hear our lawnmowers going by their bedroom window the day that they can sleep in late!

I like your idea ROSCIOLI, keeping fridays open as that "MAKE UP DAY". That is something that I can do at this time due to my limited # of the way, Got another call this evening, going to be doing an estimate in the A.M.!!!---MAN o' MAN, this is FUN!:D