1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Residential 42" ZTM - brand selection - reliability

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kirk_2892, May 25, 2012.

1. kirk_2892

kirk_2892 LawnSite Member

I know this site is more for commercial lawn services and heavier usage, but I would like to get a professional opinion.

I need to get a new mower. We have about 2 acres total to mow. Lots of trees and narrow spaces between trees and fences. Any deck much bigger than 42 will require a lot of work with a second mower. There are very few areas that are just open with a lot of grass to eat up. A 42 will fit about everywhere. Where we are mowing, it is fairly level.

We bought a Toro Timecutter back in 2004 , but the front end fell apart the deck got bent and the engine blew up. It lasted 3 years. Part the problem was too many different people running it and abusing it. We really liked the way it cut new. I currently have a cheapo Walmart rider with a 48" deck, a couple of craftsman pushers and an ancient snapper rider with a 32" deck.

Wife hates to push can't run the snapper and the other rider doesn't have an adjustable seat and she can't reach the pedals. She hates it. Wife says: "I want another Zero Turn Mower".

I have been looking and have these models available and dealers in my area:
    (listed by closest dealer and service)

Cub Cadet RZT 42
    Toro TImecutter SS4235
    Dixie Chopper Zee 1 1942
    John Deere EZtrak (Z225) 42
    Snapper ZT2142 or ZT2246

Of course am looking at the most expensive one, but most expensive isn't always the best.

Kirk :)
  2. kirk_2892

Sorry, I see that I posted this in the wrong forum.
  3. JuddsLawnCare

JuddsLawnCare LawnSite Member

I have a 2007 Snapper zt1944. The deck is definitely thicker than the York and cub cadet models. Cut is pretty good but it definitely doesn't have the suspension of a commercial grade mower. I would honestly look for a used 44" Exmark, Snapper Pro, or other commercial zero turn.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. JuddsLawnCare

JuddsLawnCare LawnSite Member

One addition suggestion is to take a look at the mower blades. The blades on my Snapper are a lot thicker than the standard mower blades on a lawn tractor. I may be wrong but I believe the timecutter & cub run thin lawn tractor type blades.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  5. macgyver_GA

macgyver_GA LawnSite Senior Member

Buy a used commerical grade mower. You'll be much happier.
  6. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

Yes if your looking into small mowers. Try and find a compact commercial machine for those 2 acre. Will last longer with the slip seating you have going on
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. kirk_2892

Found a Dixie Chopper Iron Eagle 2044 for $3499, new, old stock. It is only 300 more than Zee 1 I was looking at.

I guess that is a Commercial unit? Or maybe not, I am finding it shown as residential model on some forums.
  8. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

That might not be a bad choice on the iron eagle
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. kirk_2892

Is the Iron Eagle considered a Heavy Duty Residential or a Light Duty Commercial?

Do you know if the Zee 1 has 3 blades or 2? There is very little info on their website!

Thanks for the help,

APLUS LAWN CARE LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from North Missouri

I don't know which mower would be the best but I would also recommend, from my own personal experience, to buy a used commercial mower.

Also, stay away from the cub cadet, you won't be happy with it. I have a RZT50 and I don't like it at all.