1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Residential 42" ZTM - brand selection - reliability

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by kirk_2892, May 25, 2012.

1. kirk_2892

kirk_2892 LawnSite Member

I know this site is more for commercial lawn services and heavier usage, but I would like to get a professional opinion.

I need to get a new mower. We have about 2 acres total to mow. Lots of trees and narrow spaces between trees and fences. Any deck much bigger than 42 will require a lot of work with a second mower. There are very few areas that are just open with a lot of grass to eat up. A 42 will fit about everywhere. Where we are mowing, it is fairly level.

We bought a Toro Timecutter back in 2004 , but the front end fell apart the deck got bent and the engine blew up. It lasted 3 years. Part the problem was too many different people running it and abusing it. We really liked the way it cut new. I currently have a cheapo Walmart rider with a 48" deck, a couple of craftsman pushers and an ancient snapper rider with a 32" deck.

Wife hates to push can't run the snapper and the other rider doesn't have an ajustable seat and she can't reach the pedals. She hates it. Wife says: "I want another Zero Turn Mower".

I have been looking and have these models available and dealers in my area:
    (listed by closest dealer and service)

Cub Cadet RZT 42
    Toro Timecutter SS4235
    Dixie Chopper Zee 1 1942
    John Deere EZtrak (Z225) 42
    Snapper ZT2142 or ZT2246

Thanks,

Kirk :)

2. kirk_2892

I see that there is a Gravely dealer close too, so add a Gravely ZT 42 to that list.

:)

Kirk

3. dieseltech

dieseltech LawnSite Senior Member

I would say gravely and deere out of those listed...
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. kirk_2892

Why Gravely and Deere over Dixie Chopper? The Dixie Chopper is the only one in this class with a welded fabricated deck instead of a stamped deck. Just curious. I don't know much about Gravely or Dixie Chopper, just saw my first Dixie Chopper yesterday and was impressed with the heavy duty looking frame and deck. The JD doesn't look any stronger than the Cub Cadet right beside it and more money. Haven't seen a Gravely in person.

Thanks,

Kirk

5. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

The Dixie Chopper Zee 1 would be my pick. Not crazy about the Briggs intek, but it is what it is. It is probably the best put together machine on the list and
    also probably has the best cut. Dixie Chopper is a good name in the industry.

I did not see a budget on your list there, but if you can extend to the $3K or $3.5K mark you can get into a Hustler Sport or BadBoy MZ, that is if you
    have the dealer support. A little more will go along way and give you a 8-10 year machine, that is if it taken care of and the maintenance is done accordingly.
    The Sport and MZ have been two very popular machines for the average homeowner in the one to two acre range. Lots of satisfied owners. Again, every little
    bit you can extend in your budget can really go along way in a ZTR.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  6. kirk_2892

No Hustler or BadBoy dealer very close. 50 miles.

7. kirk_2892

Does anybody know if the Dixie Chopper Zee 1 has 3 blades or 2?

8. MS_SURVEYOR

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

9. kirk_2892

LOL, I have seen that video. I am the only one to have posted a comment there.

That one is the 48" though. Some brands, like Snapper, have two blades on the 42, and three on the 46 and bigger.

I should have specified but I was wondering if the 1942 Zee 1 had 3 blades.

Thanks,

Kirk

10. ewarren423

ewarren423 LawnSite Member

if you can up the $ a bit i'd say gravely zt xl
    why?
    zt2800 vs EZT transaxles
    fabricated deck
    kawasaki engine