1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Residential Advice From The Experts ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alfabetsoop, May 22, 2001.

1. alfabetsoop

alfabetsoop LawnSite Member

I want to "invest" in a ZTR mower after struggling with the 24" turning radius on my Husky tractor. I only cut about 18,000 sq. ft., but there are many beds and many mulched and natural trees to go around. Curently, it takes me 3 hours start to finish with the cutting, trimming, and cleanup (vac, blower etc.).

I can stripe pretty well with the tractor, but I have a lot of short runs to make (25 yds.), if I change direction every week or so. Consequently, with that really wide radius, I'm constantly backing up, going forward, backing up and going forward just to make the turn.

I'm looking at the Ariens residential grade ZTR, probably the EZR 1742 (17 HP, 42" deck). AT $3000 promo price, it seems like a good deal, but I wonder about the quality. I think it's a stamped deck, and the power is "residential". I have an Ariens Pro snowblower that I'm happy with, so I'm OK with Ariens. Do you have any other recommendations in this price range.

Thanks for any feedback.
  2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Not too many others in your price range unless you were to look for a more "commercial" mower in used condition. I saw Lesco has some homeowner version ZTRs for a couple grand more.
  3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

It would almost seem that with such a heavily landscaped property that the design of a rear discharge deck such as the Walker or Toro might only be attainable by purchasing a WheelHorse for your budgets limitaions.

Unfortunately that puts you back into the seat of your original dilemma.

You might want to check with the local supplier, and he may know of companies looking to uograde that might have a machine in your price range.

Or you could just start calling them up from the phone book and leaving them messages and then pray.

Good Luck in your venture!
  4. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Go to your Toro dealer and check out the new Toro Timecutter it is a residential ZTR.The price was good too.
  5. alfabetsoop

alfabetsoop LawnSite Member

Guys, thanks for the advice. And I apologize for posting this here; I'm new and never saw the homeowner's forum. I look for advice there.
  6. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

what about a belt drive or hydro walk behind with a 48 inch deck and a sulky ? That would be closer to your price range and 18,000sq ft won't take long at all. Probably under 30 minutes cutting, depending on your ground speed and skill with the mower.
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I own an Airens tractor, the decks are the same as the zero turn. I have a gazillion hours on that little mower and have never spent a dime on it. They offer a 5 year warranty on the deck and I think 2 on the drivetrain. I know a LCO that runs one everyday and loves his. For a homeowner I don't think you could go wrong. The quality of cut is excellent too.
  8. LJ lawn

LJ lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

why don't you look for a decent used commercial machine? you should be able to find a Walker or other z riders around the $2500 to $4000 dollar range.
  9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

18,000 square feet... once a week...

Get yourself a 44-52" commercial walk-behind and walk behind it ... nice cut, maneuverabilty and exercise :)
  10. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

i bought a brnd new exmarkmetro 36" (beltdrive) for $3100 so i think you should get a walkbehinf there great at least look into it maybe demo one