Residential bid for next season. PICS

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RedMax Man, Oct 6, 2007.

1. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

This customer wants to drop the current lco and get someone new for next season and up coming leaf cleanups. Havent really gotten any clear answers as to why they don't like the current lco. I guess they want to maybe save a few bucks and get a nicer job. The only real problem i see with the current guy is he cuts in the same dirrection every week. I know who the co. is and they do the same on other account. Other than that they do a better job then some of the other companies in the area.

So what should i quote for a weekly mow, edge, blow?

I'll be pricing shrub trimming, mulch, cleanups separatly.

I'm in MA.
  2. RedMax Man

Front Yard:

3. RedMax Man

Backyard. Almost the entire back area has to be done with a 21" because of the wall lead down to the pool area. Its not that large though.

4. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

I would say 45 a week due to need of the 21". No idea on leaves because there not down yet.
  5. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

i think 40-50 would be a fair price
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Only 1 problem, I do leaves first and foremost for customers who have been with me at least the entire season, and there's good reason for it. Every year I get some folks around now come up and talk about needing year-round lawn mowing service... I'm like why now, why so late in the season when all there's left is 1-4 cuts anyhow, what's the big deal all of a sudden?

What happened, where were you in spring, and if you have an Lco why are you dashing off towards end of season?

Translation: What you meant to say is you really need a fall guy and so now you're telling me you need someone to do first the LEAVES, fine, so why throw in the crap about year-round service? Why not just finish out the season, honestly speaking...
    More translation: You think leaves ought to be way cheaper than what your current Lco gets, so you figured if you threw in season-round lawn mowing you'd get a better price, I dig it, thanks for the warning! :laugh:

It's the ole' throw some sweet icing on this dried out old cake nobody would eat, see how they fall for it.
    Correct me later if I was wrong, but as a rule I don't like late bloomers in this industry.

Now to be a nice guy, I would just tell them to go ahead and finish out the season with their current service and call me in the spring. Because I don't estimate leaves upfront, I do them first, then I quote the price. And for that to work I need a customer who trusts me, and I'm sorry but blind trust doesn't work so good.
    Or you can draw up the contract but you better make sure you leave yourself elbow room for the leaves, that's a nasty tree I saw :laugh:
  7. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

Here it would be a $35-40 cut, but I'd definately be adding for the back lawn and pool area, plus trimming the fence. That would be a pain in the arse. Maybe you can upsell them some other services, looks like the grass is a little sparse in some areas.
  8. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I would go 45-50. Why is everyone making a big deal about that back lawn. That back lawn size is what I always go after. Looks about 5 min with the 21 and another 5-7 trimming. The front looks wide open for a large wb or z, should go very quick. Edging and trimming will be the main thing here. Still looks like a pretty easy and quick lawn over all
  9. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

I didn't see any problem with the way it was cut so I believe that the customer is just looking for a cheaper price. Don't cut just to land the job because next year they'll do the same to you.
  10. RedMax Man

Top Sites & Chris638 - I was thinking along the same lines when i pulled up to this place, It looks fine and they seem to just want to save some money and get more personal service. This was kind of a referral from someone else, they're not a stranger.

I was figuring the same price 40 - 45 a service. I don't see why they don't finish out the season with the current guy.