residential contract

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by StBalor, Mar 7, 2006.

1. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

could a few people post their residential contracts? i would like to take a look at them and maybe use for myself.

2. scarr133

scarr133 LawnSite Senior Member

This is what I use. I got the format from someone else, and then changed it up a little bit to better serve my needs and services. Feel free to use it. It covers just about every basis you can think of.

Attached Files:

3. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We dont use contracts with our customers. Customers actually like that alot because they dont feel like they are bound into anything. Not only that but a lawn service contract is so very easily broken and its not worth the hassle of going to court over a residential lawn. Now commercial accounts are another story.

5. xpresskut

xpresskut LawnSite Member

I have to disagree. The actual purpose of the contract is not to hold someone to an ironclad agreement, although it can, it is to outline the parametors of the job. It puts in black and white what your responsbilities as well as those of the customer are. That way they cant come back later on and say hey you are suppose to be doing this or that, its what we agreed to. Well Mr. customer here is the contract and that was not included. It just saves you a lot of headaches later on. You and the customer still have a way out so it shouldnt be a problem for a good customer.
    And always call it an agreement not a contract.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I understand what you are saying but in our 20 years of doing this we have never had that happen. Most of our customers have been long term customers and all our work comes from word of mouth. Really no need for a contract to cut, trim and blow. Also no need for a contract for landscape work either because everything is in black and white on the estimate that the customer has to agree to. We use the no contract speach as a selling point and most everybody comments on how they like that. :clapping:

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. I have looked at a lot of different contracts over the years and the single most important reason that I would have one for is lacking from all of them. I never see lengths of contracts for more than a couple of weeks. Sure you can call them yearly contracts but when you have a simple escape clause for 2 weeks then that contract is only good for the next 2 weeks. All of the contracts I have ever seen are useless in my opinion.

8. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't use em on resi's either ... I give em a "proposal" which outlines our services, billing process n legal stuff .....

I'll admit to chuckle on post %$^* bout customer late this .... or take em to court that

WHY ??

When I bid n give a price .... that's the price .... I set a payment due date n that's the date .... if it does not come in .... I stop service .... they are not customers .... they are a liability

Any-who .... set up a proposal which outlines your work ....leave it with em fore their own peace of mind .... something which they can reflect back on too which spells out the expectations which they wanted n the expectations which you as a business have

I'll admit we have it easier down here ... as we cut year round .... we are always billing monthly .... we have no down time with no monthly billing ... the monthly billing reminds the customer that we still have a mutual agreement

9. StBalor

StBalor LawnSite Senior Member

I have been doing this for a few years and i have never used contracts either. But it also seems like my clients are always trying to take advantage of me. What i mean by this is making me stop to check their mail, take out or bring in their trash cans, get stuff out of their car, ect.... maybe with giving them all a service agreement upfront and letting them know every time they stop me to do something else it will cost them x amount of dollars by the hour with a 1 hour min., they may not stop me as often.

10. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been using this one for the last 16 years without any problems

Attached Files: