residential contracts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PRECISION LC, Jan 19, 2002.

?

Should you have residential customers sign contracts?

1. No

32 vote(s)
    47.8%
  2. Yes

35 vote(s)
    52.2%
  1. PRECISION LC

PRECISION LC LawnSite Member

I was wondering , would you recomend having residential customers sign contracts?

2. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

If asked YES
    But I don't try to force

All them pays never had a problem!

3. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering the same PRECISION LC ?????:confused:

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

ALL my customers are on contracts. It just helps me to keep everything more organized, everything is in writing if any disputes were to arise, I just feel better and more professional with it set up that way. I had one old guy tell me I should think about not having or changing the contract because he felt he needed an attorney present to understand it. He is the ONLY person to say anything and I really don't care that I didn't get his yard. In todays day and age I would like to have something more than a handshake. I also know that it's a matter of who, and how much money you want to spend in the court of law nowadays, regardless of contracts or not. I just prefer one.

5. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

have them sign. if you feel its needed, give them an out-say 30 days notice.

avoids disputes. and i need to record their address, phone number, etc anyway, so easy way to do it and keep everything organized.

6. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

i use a service agreement that has a 30 day out clause. this ensures i'll get paid for the month and also gives me 30 opportunity's to save the cancel. there are laws in michigan that tend to lawncare contracts (one that tgcl does not follow) they can viewed on the dept of agricultare site.

7. Use some type of form that they have to sign.

The signature helps prove in court that they knew what work was aloud to be performed.

Hence they sign thay PAY!!!!!!!!

Does not have to be a contract.

8. plow kid

plow kid Banned

When in doubt I make out a work order and have the person sign it~NaTe

9. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

You can almost get away with out them. But you need to have everybody sign one to cover the 2 dead beats out of 100 customers.

10. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

After 10 years in this business without an agreement I decided to go with one this year. Not because I was worried about getting paid as I never had any major issues before. I went with one this year because I decided to go with a 10 month billing system. It outlines everything so that the customer understands (feels more comfortable with) what they are getting for their money.

The main reason I wish I had done it years ago is that it has allowed me to pre-sell (more!) services which in turn has allowed me to become more organized with scheduling and billing.

I definitely recommend a service agreement!! It's makes you look & feel like a pro...