Residential fertigation with drip system

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ballstar, Oct 11, 2007.

1. ballstar

ballstar Banned

Anyone done it? What are your thoughts on it? Is fertigation a good tool for you? What are the best suppliers/brand names to look for?
    I have a landscape that will have no turf. All plants irrigated with rain bird drip. Would like to put in a fertigation system, but have never done it.

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

everything netafim 17mm...

Best in the biz.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

I've researched it...there's some neat stuff out there, sorry I don't know
    what happened to my lit. but a google should help. One company makes a
    ("Addilizer"?) unit that will use organic fertilizer, but I've been cautioned
    about it not being "clean" enough to use in anything but rotors & large spray.
    The unit I researched hooked into the irri clock w/ a metering arrangement.
    You buy their fertilizer for various plant types, turf, etc. The biggie about
    fertigation is the backflow regs regard it as "high hazzard" & a reduced pressure backflow assembly MUST be installed. If you find any hits on
    google, post them so we can take a look. Cool idea, not sure organics will
    work for drip, tho.

4. ballstar

ballstar Banned

I've used some netafim in the past.. do they make emitters like what I'm accustomed to? I really don't want to be weaving pipe all around the beds, but use emitters and spaghetti tube.

5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Netafim makes the whole meal deal..first you've got to find out if the
    fertigation works for drip/micro.

6. Not a fan of fertigation in small yards. I prefer slow release fertilizers and don't believe any hype that liquid fertilizers can be slow release. Big area makes sense.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto. :clapping: :clapping:

8. ballstar

ballstar Banned

It is a large area, no doubt. I would think that with fertigation, slow release is not even an issue, since it is being fertilized every day- especially in this scenario, where the whole area is all trees and shrubs. Has anyone used it through a drip system for any period of time? The reason I'm asking here, is my irrigation distributor sells these systems, but he doesn't know enough about them to tell me if it will work.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Why would you fertilize every day? IMO fertigation with anything short of buried drip is a waste of time when your talking trees and shrubs.

10. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

I think AZ Gardener has a lot of experience in this area. Maybe he'll chime in?