Residential JD at Lowe's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Jan 14, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Anybody seen the Home Depot (L, G series) versions of John Deere mowers lined up at Lowe's? Little aggresive competition, huh?

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

LOL they sell a scotts brand with the name made by john deere,

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I just feel so bad for JD. Once a mower manufacturer starts in with the "Home" stores, their quality starts to decline. Sure, Lowes and HD might be ok with the pricing for a little while.. but at some point, they will want to sell the mowers for a lower price (especially if they are going to be battling each other now on them) and they will (like wal-mart) start telling the manufacturer to make them cheaper. Pretty soon you'll get people that were jaded into purchasing one of the L100 series mowers, and they'll get maybe 2 or 3 years out of it. Not going to be good for the JD rep when the mowers with their name on them start falling apart at the same rate as a Murray or MTD.

4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I actually bought the john deere L120. It was a reg. price of 2100.00 and i got it for 999.99. This was just a few weeks ago. They were getting rid of the lawns stuff, and it was a floor model. It has a 52'' (i think) deck, 20hp briggs, hydro trans, automatic. I bought it cuz it was a real good deal. Im not going to use it for commercial use, just to mow the 10 acres we have up in our summer house. So for that reason, i think i got a great buy.

5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

As a long-time Deere fan and loyal owner I too really hate to see Deere in HD or Lowes. That's like being able to buy a scaled down, sissy-fied Hummer from a GM dealer compared to the authentic military vehicle that built the Hummer name. . .or like Ping making a cheap version of a putter to sell at Walmart. . .or like, well you get the point. . .

6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, they really are not JD tractors

7. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

The cheap JDs that are at my Home Depot, have my dealers sticker on them, thats sad. My dealer sells all JD stuff and to see their name on those JDs, i don't like it.

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Weren't they just made by some cheapo company to try to compete with murray? Just what i heard.

9. tiedeman

from earth

I am still searching about them, but I did find out that the John Deer attachements, that are sold as John Deere, are actually made by Brinly

10. tiedeman

from earth

It might be along the lines of a Massey Ferguson

I am not 100% positive on that though