1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Residential John Deere Tractors

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heyfishguy, Jul 14, 2006.

1. heyfishguy

heyfishguy LawnSite Member

Hi I was wondering if any one knew if the residential John Deere Tractors at home depot are really made by John Deere. They are having a end of season clearance sale at home depot and the prices are really good not to mention one year no interest no payments. 95% of my accounts I have to use a 21" commercial honda on, but their are 3 or 4 that are around three quarters of an acre, that I thought a residential tractor could handle 4 yards a week. I was thinking of the 125 model with 20 hp v-twin and 42" deck like pictured in my avatar above. Anyone know how well these mowers bag with a standard bagger kit? Any advice would be great.
  2. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm almost 100% certain that they are not.
  3. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

With that degree of certainty then you should be able to identify just who does make John Deere tractors, Sabre at Home Depot. So who does make these?? If no John Deere then why the failure by JD to protect its name??

Just curious.
  4. Brendan Smith

Brendan Smith LawnSite Bronze Member

i spoke with a kubota/jd resi/grasshopper dealer a few weeks ago to look at the zd's and he was telling me about them. we didn't talk about the stuff i wasn't interested in for too long though. my understanding is that jd subs the construction out to another manufacturer. like i said, i wasn't there to find out about stuff i don't need...

hell, i've been wrong before though.
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I think JD does make them, they are the same unit you see at the JD dealership and the same price. I know my dad and brother have one of the $1399 manual transmissions and they love them. They also were top ranked the last time I read a report in consumer reports and also needed the least reapirs among home owner lawn mowers (tractor type). I would buy one in a heart beat if I were in the market for a consumer mower. Hope this helps.
  6. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

All true. I just thought I would play with Brendan's chain a little. It does help stimulate the thought process a little sometimes. I think his dealer was trying to put the hex on Home Depot.

We expect to have one open up here late next year. It will put more pressure on sales pricing yet will also highlight the need for after sales support.

HD is good for JD consumer products, and Echo, Toro, Lawnboy, etc.
  7. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a friend that works at a JD dealer. Been there 20+ years. Said they are made by JD. BUT....They are not made to the same standards that JD has been known for for years. Mowers like Husky from TSC was giving them a pounding in the market so JD came out with a line of mowers to compete with the lower price units. What one of the other post said is true. The price is the same for the 100 series at the dealers and Home depot. Personally I would get it from the dealer. If you buy it from HD and have a problem you have to take it to the dealer to get it fixed. Guess who's mower is going to get repaired first? Just had a mower that I got cheap at a discount store that needed the carb worked on. Took it to a very large dealer here in town. Took 8 weeks to get it fixed.
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

i also heard that they dont make those at home cheapo either i heard the same story that they sub out the construction and they jsut put the name on there but as far as im concerned its a john deere if its green and says john deere on it
  9. deereguru1

deereguru1 LawnSite Member

I work at a John Deere dealer in western Pa. We order and set up every piece of John Deere equipment for 3 local Lowes and 2 local Home Depos. They are the same tractors we order for our show room and are sold at the same price. They are cheaper to compete with other companies such as MTD. If you want a quality product, then you need to step up to an Xseries. As far as service goes, If we didn't sell it, it waits till our customers are taken care of first. Unless its something simple. If we sell it the first pickup and delivery charge is free for service. If we didn't sell it then its $40 within a twenty five mile radius, But Lowes or Home Depot will almost always pay for it.
  10. deereguru1

deereguru1 LawnSite Member

As far as the Deere constuction equipment goes, The excavators are manufactured by Hitachi, bigs and minis. The skid steers are made by Deere. The 110 TLB is a 4710 with a different hood and cab. I'm not sure on the big wheel loaders and the big backhoes.