1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Residential lawn/leaf cleanup

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JarrodsDad, Dec 3, 2003.

1. JarrodsDad

JarrodsDad LawnSite Member

I am interested in purchasing a used Billy Goat KD50C Lawn Vac for small residential lawn cleanup. The machine is a 5.0 HP push type. Bag is ok, no hose attachment.

Any opinions about using this machine for that purpose?

$250.00 for the unit.

2. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I haven't used a lawn vac personally, so take this with a grain of salt. But from what I've read here and elsewhere, the two main problems with lawn vacs in general are lack of power/suction, and dust coming through the bag.

The only lawn vac that I've seen that might be worth a look at is a new one from Bear Cat. Is has rotating bars in the front that pull up matted down lawn debris. And everything goes into a plastic can, maybe cutting down on the dust(?). I'm sure it's costly though.

What type of mower are you using, and do you have a bagger for it? This would be one way to go.

Good luck. And if you do get the vac, be sure to give us a review.
  3. JarrodsDad

I use a 21" Snapper Hi vac mower.
  4. JarrodsDad

Is a Leaf Blower a better investment then? I understand that some of that type of equipment will vacumm as well as blow.