Residential Mow, Edge, and Blow Rate?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by littleredwagon, May 15, 2008.

1. littleredwagon

littleredwagon LawnSite Member

Hey guys,

So I'm moving out of the installation side of things, and into residential and commercial maintenance. What I'm wondering, is what is an average/decent price per square foot. I'm making my door hangers, and want to have a set rate, to show credibility/ethics. No overpricing because of external reasons. Same prices for same work.

I'm paying my worker $12/hour. Gas around here is $4.00/gallon, and we use approximately 2 gallons per hour, with the truck and mower, edger, blower, in total. So $4/hour gas charge. I'd also like to make some money (obviously). So what in your professional opinions should I be charging per square foot?

Thanks ahead of time. I look forward to the advice of the gurus...:clapping:

2. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

no such thng as a set price on a yard!

3. littleredwagon

then maybe that's the wrong wording... i'm looking for an 'average' price. something that is ballpark, that I can throw on the doorhanger

4. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i'd put something like "prices from 35.00 dollars per cut. obviously you should insert your minimum for the 35. just put whatever you need to make money. just try not to come in too low because you will be kicking your own hindend later down the road. you got any pics of your doorhanger?

5. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

i think you need a more professional way of advertising.door hangers are an obvious newbie to commercial and residential customers.they are used here by fly-by-nighters.etc.i have used the telephone book for 28 years and found it to be the best.you dont need a big ad to start.

6. littleredwagon

I agree that the phonebook is an excellent medium, but around here, even a small add is REALLY expensive.. I've tried many many sources of ads, and i'm just trying everything i can.

7. k911lowe

k911lowe LawnSite Senior Member

if you buy a business phone for 50 some dollars a month,they give you a free line in local and main yellow pages in your are.i have had my number since 1982 and its also a good selling point.

8. littleredwagon

who is that with, because i have a business line (cell phone though...) with ATT, and i pay like 200/month for the minutes and a second line..

9. Hardee's Bush Hogging

Hardee's Bush Hogging LawnSite Member

About how much is the average small yellow pages ad?

10. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

holy crap man i want what mower truck and w&b you have because i know i burn WAYYYYYYYYYY more then 2 gallons a hour for all of that equipment. heck my mower does more then 2 an hour.