1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Residential Mower?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by St. Croix VI, Sep 19, 2004.

1. St. Croix VI

St. Croix VI LawnSite Member

Hi guys/gals I am a homeowner with 2 - 1/2 acre lots of manucured Bermuda grass to cut and am interested in purchasing either a push mower or rider. Ive been reading past forums for input however, I see you guys/girls mostly do commercial work with 34" up. What mowers or riders do you recommend. I was focused on the Toro Super Rec. 20033 or a Pro model but really do not care to be pushing anything. I am really not interested is a self propelled/easy stride mower. Down here we mostly have Murry and Poulan with all the other crappy mowers, all have B&S engines and I plan to import it from Florida. Price is a factor $500 mower, $ ? on a rider thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. Ability

Ability LawnSite Member

For $500 you are not going to be able find any riders that are good quality unless they are very used or someone is having financial problems.

However, for that price you can find a very nice self propelled. If that is the direction you go I would recommend the Toro 22" with the personal pace system. You can push it with two fingers.
  3. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Sears tractors seem to routinely go on sale for under $1000, usually 36" to 44" I think. You get what you pay for, but just for mowing a lawn once a week they work fine. That might be about the least expensive you'll find.

I have no idea about shipping arrangements.

Hope this helps!
  4. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

$500????????????? Maybe you could go to walmart and get 3 muarry push mowers, tie them all together, and hook em up to a horse. Then you got a 60" hay burnin zero turn.
  5. St. Croix VI

Thanks for the replys. I am not one to purchase inferior products however, I am planning to build my home very soon and do not want to invest too much in anything right now. I would love to purchase a Gravely PM34Z but, I do not think I need it for what I want to do (2 yards, come on…). One yard has a slight incline the next is flat. I heard ZTRs are not good for inclines. Point me in the right direction for the least expensive, top quality rider to purchase. If I do not feel like spending that much $ Ill settle for a mower and consider it exercise. I plan to mostly mulch since the lawn is well taken care of, and sometimes bag for the times when Im too lazy/busy to mow every week. Shipping will not be a problem. Thanks in advance.

all ferris don’t think so.….but thanks for the thought on the horse; hehe.
  6. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

www.ariens.com check it out they have a cheap 30'' ztr perfect for the homeowner :)
  7. MOJO111

MOJO111 LawnSite Member

one a ztr the other a rider 10/12hp 28/32 cut under $1500 there abouts

8. St. Croix VI

Thanks for