Residential mowing prices

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Denlinger326, Aug 14, 2013.

1. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

I don't really have a good reason to comment on your region, but here is my story. I cut for my local guy who has some rental properties and I do the crap mows between renters or when they get out of control. I usually get $50 to $70 for a slightly overgrown 1/2 acre. He has a son living in MD, a DC suburb. He just went to visit and I could tell he wanted to discuss my prices. The son just bought a 2 acre property, with house and pool. The property cost 1.8 million. He says while visiting the lawn crew shows up. Four or five guys hop out of the truck and two mowed, one used a push mower around the pool, the other guy started trimming. They did the cut, trim, edge and blow in 15 minutes, at $40. Wholly crap, how can they pay 4-5 guys and put fuel in the truck and equipment. That area has 2 to three times the wealth we do here, and you guys have to work for minimum wage just to compete. I'd never be in this business trying to compete with that.

2. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

I use QB and have the yards in 5 classes. .5hr 1 hr 1.5, 2hr and 3 hr. Put the yards in the closest class and then I can run jobs on what my average is. So even if I have a 10 minute yard it goes in the .5, so this will help compensate for the drive time. I run work sheets and this helps me critique my measurements. So I will say I make more money on the .5 hr lawns than the others as a rule. The difference is the larger lawns have more upsale for tree, shrub trimming or removal.

3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

The mowing game is a funny thing. Guys driving around in 100K setups to mow postage stamps for $30 and the part time lawn service / full time road dept worker gets 2 acres with nothing more than an old 60 ZTR on a 6x10 pulled by a 1500 or mini truck.

I don't care where you are or what the market is, one thing is the same. You are driving to the property 25-30 times or more a season and incurring hundreds of dollars in expenses from machinery to postage stamps and all for what? $800 a year or really about $100 a year profit? Mow and go at bottom feeding prices is insane. Last time I checked it cost us about $30 to pull up to a property, let alone actually take the equipment and use it. The best thing anyone can do in the lawn game is stay on top of their numbers. You may find it is really only sustainable to step up your game.

4. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

Lowest for me is $40. I'm just now getting the hang of pricing in my area.

5. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

$35 min plus NY sales tax for 1/4 acre or less.

6. No Weeds Left Behind

No Weeds Left Behind LawnSite Member

Dude that is crazy. I would get easy 100 probably 125-150.

7. No Weeds Left Behind

No Weeds Left Behind LawnSite Member

I just picked this one up the other day. Its a bi weekly. I charge 45 to cut blow weed eat and edge. Next time I got its 65 and I take care of the flower beds. Tiny flower beds. You can barely see them in the pic. I definitely wouldn't be doing this if we had the prices that prostreet has.

christina hardy yard.jpg

8. Northeastbama

Northeastbama LawnSite Member

Here in the extreme NorthEast corner of Alabama my lowest property is $35 my highest is $100 . I charge 35 an hour. I have 9 properties between 2 people do I cut them a good deal .. In all I have 28 this is my first year doing this full time.. I've always had several yards , but I love this think this is my calling . Lol

9. OakNut

OakNut LawnSite Platinum Member

Mowing is like antiques. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

;)

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Amen! Your story backs up what I was saying perfectly! The only way they can do it that cheap is to knock out 30+ lawns a day. I bet they were all hispanic am I right? They tend to live 2 to 3 families in a single house and they all split the rent.