Residential mowing

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BLC1, Mar 20, 2008.

1. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Do any of you guys focus more on residentials and make good money on that. I know everybody likes to start in residential and move to commercial and more landscaping. I would like to know if you can go out and make good money on residentials with a tight route and offering full service.

2. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

from what i gather, most people do mostly residential but i dont know what they make.

3. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes you can! Set a price structure and do not let people dictate your pricing to you. Get people who understand your value and will pay accordingly.

4. BLC1

BLC1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Do you need the customers that want full service so you can completely take care of their property. I think this would benefit you as well because you wouldn't have to worry about anything looking bad on the property. It would show as a nice big ad for your company.

5. Reassurance Property

Reassurance Property LawnSite Member

get as many services as you can per client!!!!

6. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, there is good money in residentials, not too mention great customer loyalty if you do a good job. Tight route is very important, my typical lawn is $35 for 30 minutes, if you have a good close route of those all day long, you are doing pretty good.

7. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

ditto!!!!!:hammerhead:

8. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

You need any customer you can get. The ones that you can sell other services to are just icing. Your work and word of mouth plus a little advertising will build you a solid business....just take care of people how you would want to be taken care of and the rest will happen.IMHO...Good luck this year.

9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

We are geared for bigger properties. (One acre minimum-our biggest is 22 acres) Therefore I have a $45 minimum which pretty much weeds out the postage stamps. The way I am set up I generate $100 - $150 per hr. with my mower, and my wife generates $60 - $100 per hr. with her machine. There is no way I could do that with residentials.

10. nemow

nemow LawnSite Senior Member

I like your prices and theory. I am the same way. I was bashed the other day for saying the same thing. You average $60 per hour. $35 per about 30 minutes, even with a tight route say anything where you have to put the mowers back on the trailer you figure five ten minutes to the next property by the time gates go up drive gates down mow. I make plenty of money doing pretty much the same thing. I average two lawns per hour through out my entire route. This year I would like to up it to three.