residential mulch job opinion

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Greener Grounds NC, Apr 15, 2013.

1. Greener Grounds NC

Greener Grounds NC LawnSite Member

have a customer wanting a new area mulch which is currently on the side of a small incline hill. it is 80x30 and he wants it 3" thick. I quoted him $1650 and he said if i included the fabric in that and installed he would take the bid but i totaled about $200 in material for fabric. it is just me or does this guy sound like a cheapskate? I am running a special on mulch until may 25th at 10% off my mulch installs as well...thats with a discount and no fabric in my price...what do you guys think..?

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

I dont do work or provide materials for free. Sounds like the new price is 1850 to me.

3. jrs.landscaping

jrs.landscaping LawnSite Silver Member
    from Maine

Are you creating a new bed or overlaying an existing one? Either way you price seems more than fair, if he doesn't like it I'd walk :walking:

4. kandalawncaremgr

kandalawncaremgr LawnSite Member

The guys a cheapass. I just did a thread the other day about fabrics and mulch and got criticism for wanting to use fabric after the customer wouldn't accept the fact I wanted to use preen pre emergent. Which by all means its whatever the customers what, but they are going to pay.

5. TFLE

TFLE LawnSite Senior Member

For me that price would be acceptable. With the fabric included, but that's me. Only you know if your making enough money. A wide open area should be easy to lay and if you have 24 yds to lay it should go relatively quick, as long as the bank isn't to steep and if you can work from the top and not have to wheel up it that would be a plus. If he won't bite on the extra two hundred try maybe an extra 100 and split it. I would hate to see a job I could make 1000 bucks on walk over 100 bucks. To me (maybe not everyone) some money is better than no money.

6. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

You should explain to him that any experienced landscaper knows that you never use fabric on a mulch bed (unless its rubber mulch). mulch breaks down into dirt. good quality dirt. and that dirt grows weeds. on top of your mulch.

if he insists i guess its up to you if you have enough profit after the 200 to do the job. or try to meet him in the middle. just look at your profit margin.

7. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

200 is cheap I be more for fabric + pins and labor installing it

I tell him the price is mulch only and he wants fabric that's a extra charge don't give in

8. GrassGuerilla

GrassGuerilla LawnSite Bronze Member

Uh fabric goes under rock, not mulch. Fabric is a waste and travesty under mulch. When the weeds grow out of the mulch, you look like a chump. If you use a pre-emergent like preen or snapshot, the fabric will just be a pain. A pain to lay, a pain to plant in. And generally useless. Even under rocks, as debris collects in the rocks weed seeds gain a footing and often punch through fabrics anyway.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

I also recommend to my customers with rock to never blow towards the rock because it will build up and create dirt.

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The guy is an idiot for wanting fabric under mulch,,, especially on a hill... once it all washes down the slope and look like trash-scape he'll want it redone for free as well... some jobs are just not worth doing...
    Unless he's willing to fork over the money upfront,,, negotiations are over...