Residential Pricing in Kansas City

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Droffaws, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

I am a newbie and haven't had much time to research....also getting started a little late in the season.

Before the season gets to close to the end I would like to have about 5-6 accounts to be able to build on next year, but I don't have any idea about what to charge or how to bid. I don't want to low ball and kill myself for a few bucks, but I want to give people a fair price for Kansas City.

Here is my question...Anybody got some pointers for bidding laws for a newbie in KC?:confused:

2. TLC Darrin

TLC Darrin LawnSite Member

Maybe i'm wrong(happens often) but we figure a dollar a minute pricing works.. seems to work out ok

3. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Thanks......Anyone else?

4. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

If your a newbie you really can't expect to price at a dollar a minute. To be able to accomplish this it takes high end equipment (ztr, walk behinds everything that screams efficiency), extremely tight routing, the right customers and very fine tuned skills. As a newbie, you usually don't have tight routing, your just focusing on a route. Your equipment isn't specialized to your jobs unless your starting with some big debt or mommie money. KC is a great market, lots of development. If your serious and willing to focus on quality and profits you should do well. Rememeber the national average is 36.00 hr. This is the average of all of us in the industry. My average usually ranges around 35-45.

5. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

TM...

About how many 0-1 acre sized jobs could a newbie expect to get done on a Friday or Sat.? I would mow, trim, and edge.

6. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Anybody else in or around KC that will chime in?

7. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

I'm in Lee's Summit, where are you in KC?? I am getting around $60 an acre mow/trim/blow in the nicer neighborhoods, a little less in the lesser hoods. I really try to plan a lot on my route and have to figure accordingly as to what I charge. I also take in to consideration how much the account means to me. I do 4 houses in a row for a guy that builds houses, just under 2 acres for $95 per cut, takes me about 2 hours 15 minutes due to hills and some trimming. that's a little cheaper than I normally go, but he's always throwing me extra jobs when I need them. Let me know specifically what neighborhoods you are focusing on, and I can probably help a little better. Oh yea, if you come across anyone needing tree work done, pass them my way. Feel free to email me with any more questions, or if you need help
    bottlefed89@hotmail.com
    P.S. Who did you buy the wright from??

8. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in south JOCO and I have a minumum of $33. I get about half of the lawns I bid.

9. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Bottlefed89,

I live in LS also...bought my Wright from Lawn & Leasure. I'm just looking to pick up a few more jobs about 2-3 big or 4-5 small. Since I'm just starting out late in the season I figure I would build a small client base and look a little harder come next spring.

10. Droffaws

Droffaws LawnSite Member
    from KCMO

Royalslover,

Third Day does rock, but I just got their WIRE Cd and don't really care for it all that much.