Residential pricing...what do you think?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Jun 4, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Tell me your opinion of this for residential pricing. 1/2 acre lots (minus house, driveway, garage, etc..) would be $35 for mow/trim/blow. I would charge the same for bagging but would add $3 for every lawn bag I fill up.

Thank you for any opinions,

Joel B.

2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like good money too me. Will your area support that. Yhats about the average around here.

3. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know if you price is based upon the local market, or your own operating costs. You have to recover the costs of doing business plus profit (profit is not a dirty word). If you cover your overhead and make a profit, then you need to determine your profit per hour and decide if that is a wage you can live with. Most contractors have a minimum just for dropping the tailgate that is around $30. Each lawn will be different. How much will tree roots and other obstructions slow you down? How is the lay of the land? What about ditches, extra trimming? Why should you work for less per hour on one lawn just because you have to slow down because of dog holes and lawn dodads? Just because $35 is the going rate doesn't make it the right rate for a given yard. The $3 per bag is a good start in pricing for differences. There are people that are willing to pay for quality. Don't treat your services like a can of beans that can be purchased anywhere. Be a pro, act like a pro, find customers that will pay you like a pro. Good Luck. JD