Residential recommendation

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Advance The Man, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

I have a homestead property and a weekender property. Both have approximately .75/acre of land each. Both have many obstacles. A dealer had recommended mini-fastrak 17/42. I have a 17 hp with at 42 deck tractor. It's very slow. When I purchase this ZTR, I also want the deck to be larger.

Is it overkill to get a fastrak 20/52? What is the difference between the mini-fastrak and the fastrak?

I was told it was very important to get a ZTR with separate pumps and wheel motors and was told these Hustler models don't have them. Is this true that it's important? How does it impact the longevity of the unit?

2. cdolor

cdolor LawnSite Member

I also have 2 properties. One is .75 acres and the other is 21 acres but I only cut about 3.5 acres there (the rest is horse fields). I use a Fastrak 25/52 and it works great. I have had if for 2 seasons now with no problems. Very fast and smooth cutting. I did not see a reason to buy a Mini-Z after talking to my dealer. My original plan was for a Mini-Z but my dealer conviced me to demo the Fastrak first to prove it was enough.
    I think the 25/52 would fit the bill for you fine.
    Best of Luck,
    Chuck

3. Advance The Man

Nice you have a 25 hp. That's no longer offered as far as the Hustler website indicates. What brand of engine? I'm glad to hear you say it's very fast. That's my biggest concern. I just want to get the grass cut and move on to blowing, etc. My current tractor probably does 5 - 5.5mph. I think the Fastrak does 7mph. I'm gonna test ride one this afternoon. ATM

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

That must be a typo, we have never offered the FasTrak with a 25hp engine option.
    The largest available is the 20hp Honda.
    Your question on the hydros is a good one, and one I have addressed many time here on LS.
    We have been producing the FasTrak for over 4 years now, every single one of them with the Hydro Gear IZT's in them, some earlier ones had some issues, but that was taken care of by Hydro Gear, with a updated IZT, one with a charge pump and filter system, similar to what you would find in a traditional pump and wheel motor set up.
    One thing you need to look at is the build of the mowers you are looking at, you will not find a single residential mower built stronger than a Hustler FasTrak.
    You may find units with "less expensive" pump and wheel motor combo's (these are not the same grade pumps and wheel motors that are in commercial units) in them, but usual that mower has a stamped thinner deck, and a stamped frame (some have fabricated frames, look at them, compare them to the Hustler, do they give you a lifetime warranty on the frame or front of the deck?) or just overall less build than a Hustler FasTrak.
    The Hydro Gear pumps (used in the pump and wheel motor units) have the same charge pump that is in the IZT, Hydro gear makes both, in fact Hydro Gear IZT's are use in other mfg's commercial units, and we just started to offer a 1 year or 400 hour commercial warranty on the 44" and 52" FasTrak's with the IZT's in them.
    For residential use you will get many many years of use, and you will be glad you bought the FasTrak.
    Take a look at all the mowers out there, compare them, demo them, and let us know what you choose.
    The Mini FasTrak has a smaller drive system, smaller deck's 36" and 42", and offers smaller engine options, also they are less expensive.
    If you have any other questions let me know.
    Hope this helps.
    Pj

5. cdolor

cdolor LawnSite Member

PJ,s right it was a typo (or brain damage). Mine is a 20/52 and it is a fine machine. You actually can cut at full speed with it and it does not leave any grass uncut. One suggestion thought, get the springs for the seat. They will help the ride on uneven lawns. Mine is rough in spots and the springs make a big difference. Also don't inflate the tires beyond the Hustler recommended pressure as they act as part of the "suspension system".
    I have no regrets buying it.
    Chuck

6. Advance The Man

Sounds like you're saying that although it's a single pump, that pump is of higher quality than say a Snapper's pumps in their dual system?

I purchased the 20/52 today. It was awesome. I'm sure it has some to do with simply a ZTR with 20 hp, but a alot has to do with the fact it's a Hustler. With my older tractor (17 hp 42") it took around 50 - 55 minutes. It took me 23 minutes on the Fastrac 20/52!

I mowed mostly St Augustine, but also tackled 2.5' high bahia (super thick) along the pond. It was tough, but did the job and I didn't roll into the pond. This was the first mow of the season, so I don't want to prematurely say it's a problem - I purchased the mulcher and was expecting more (i.e. small bits of grass). However, the St Augustine was a bit long and there is a heavier coat of thatch from the winter months. So I will certainly give it 3 or 4 cuttings (3 - 4 weeks) before I come to any conclusion. I feel that I gained tremedous time with it being ZTR, it's increased forward speed over what I had, but also it was very fast in reverse. The overall cut was good, but I'll get better. I was enjoying doing these quick 180's at top speed with the PTO engaged. So that doesn't look terrificc

Any residential owners out there considering it, I'm very satisfied after my first cut. I'll report back tomorrow with another report after mowing our weekender property (25% St Augustine, 75% bahia) with tons of obstacles.

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Congrats on the new mower!
    Dont be shy, post some pics of your new toy... ummm I mean tool....lol...lol...

Pj

8. Advance The Man

Will do, tomorrow. Did you see my last question, "Sounds like you're saying that although it's a single pump, that pump is of higher quality than say a Snapper's pumps in their dual system?"

9. Advance The Man

Performed well on bahia even with the mulching kit installed!

Here's a pix in my garage. I posted it here in the homeowner's forum.

10. Advance The Man

Still was curious about the above question I had. Also with only one pump does that mean you can't have the tires spinning in opposite directions?