1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Residential route: Work four days or five?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mark McC, Feb 12, 2005.

Residential route: Work four days or five?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2005.
  1. Four days

2. Five days

1. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

We all know it's tricky at times to get people to go along with getting mowed on Monday. Some retirees don't care, but a lot of people in general do.

So, here's the question: If you are working a route that's strictly residential, do you work four days at ten hours each or five days at eight hours each?

Comments on the pros and cons of each are welcome.
  2. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 4 day route, I wish I had 5 days worth of work.
  3. z_clark

z_clark LawnSite Senior Member

last year was my first year in buisness. We mowed 4 days a week, and used Mondays for mulching, flowers, pruning, etc. There were a few Mondays that we were with out work, and we utilized that time for cleaning the trucks and changing oil. I never liked that feeling of going into a weekend with out work nailed down for the following Monday.
  4. CNYScapes

CNYScapes LawnSite Senior Member

we mow 4 days- monday -thursday on fridays the mowing crew helps the landscape crew. If it rains on one of the mowing days then friday turns into a catch up day. Getting some people to work saturdays is like pulling teeth around here.
  5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I mow six days -- your poll didn't give me a chance to vote for six days. I don't work on Sunday.

I have enough customers that don't care to fill in Monday and Saturday. They are just glad that somebody shows up!
  6. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

I keep myself free on Fridays. Second truck will go either M-T or T-F.
  7. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

5 days easily.
    On Mondays we do the homeowner associations an community area work.

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Mowing crews are 4 days, Monday thur Thursday. 4 - 10 hour days. Great for the rain day and it frees up a truck to run landscape or lawncare on the extra day. This also works great in fall, Aeration always puts a time pressure on the crews and this helps.
    No matter how efficent you are you still lose time in the moring and end of day. Now you only lose 4 days of it not 5.
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Both 3 man crews mow 5 days
    One 2 man crew 2 days and landscapes the other 3.
  10. lawn_pro

lawn_pro LawnSite Senior Member

We do residentials/small commercial properties Monday-Thursday, Large commercial/associations(3), on Fridays....I guess we kind of give the larger clients-especially home associations priority since it seems everyone want's you there on Fridays. Saturdays are catch-up...We try to avoid working on Sundays..but sometimes no choice.