1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Residential Use of Lazer HP

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by GlowBlue, Apr 9, 2003.

1. GlowBlue

GlowBlue LawnSite Member

I was wondering, I know the Lazer machines are made to be commerical mowers, made to run for the long-haul (~1000 hrs per season), but I would like to know is there any drawbacks to not putting the hours on the Lazer that the pros do.

Since its only non-commerical useage, I might only put 100-200 hours on it a season, does the fact that its sitting more than its in use harm it (specifically the hyrdos and engine)?

I rode motorcycles in the past that got "cranky" if you didn't ride them enough, and if they sat around too much they needed more "care and feeding" that if you rode them more.

Thanks for any advice, I am planning on picking up the LHP 52" with a 23 Kaw.
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Glow Blue,

There shouldn't be any issues. Just make sure you run the unit at full RPM when in operation and you shouldn't have any problems.

The biggest problem your going to have is that the Lazer, HP, CT and XP mowers make cutting grass fun again. You'll probably be seeking uncut grass down the road, across the street that you can cut whether it needs it or not.

3. duramaxlt

duramaxlt LawnSite Member
    from georgia

amen to that i recently purchased a 52" z for personal use i have 3 yards to maintain now i'm picking up other yards in neighborhood for the fun of it oh yeah and it helps to pay for it to.be careful you'll be wanting to get in the business to.
  4. GlowBlue

GlowBlue LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I didn't think there would be any issues, I pick it up in a few days, now if the grass would just start growing...

Its nice to know that there is a forum like this where we can get answers to our questions, hats off to Exmark.

5. lahanko

lahanko LawnSite Member
    from NY

As a homeowner myself and the owner of a Toro 150 (bought last year) I can tell you what Terry said is sooooo true. Happy mowing. LOL.
  6. Glen

Glen LawnSite Member

Yes, a Z makes cutting the grass fun again. I bought a 52 inch Z in December 2001 - and used it for the first time during the 2002 cutting season at home (just use the Z to cut my grass at home). It's just great....gave the Z a once over today....looking forward to cutting the grass next weekend for the first time this year...
  7. wwjam

wwjam LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I got sick of constantly repairing a $1500 Craftsman tractor after only 5 years of ownership (broken weld on blade enagement lever, frozen solenoid fuel shut-off on carb which then leaked, front axle cracked and finally the transmission started to whine badly). And as an engineer, I treat my equipment with care and keep up on the maintenance.

So for my 2 acre lawn, and after lots of comparisons and cost analysis I decided to go with the LazerZ last April. Since then, I've never had so much fun mowing the lawn. My time went from 3 hours on the butt breaking Crapsmen to 1 hour on the smooth riding Lazer. It's strange but when I'm finished mowing I'm actually sort of sad because I have to get off of the machine. But aside from the fun ride, the Lazer gives a super nice cut in terms of evenness, clipping dispersion and striping abiility (even without the striper kit). Hands down I have the nicest looking lawn in the neighborhood and I constantly get compliments or asked the same question that cracks me up "What lawn service do you use?"

Speaking of lawn service, the lawn services that some of my neighbors use that have other equipment don't seem to get nearly as nice of a cut as my Lazer. It is usually lumpy, uneven with clods of grass throughout the lawn. But in fairness it could be that their blades may not be as sharp due to the sheer volume of daily cuts.

But to answer your question. Although it has only been a year, I have had no major problems with this machine. It started right up after our long harsh NJ winter, there's no rust, no bad electrical connections, nothing. I did add grease to the bushings, checked belts, changed the oil, checked the air filter as called out in the maintenece schedule. As with any tractor, when you get your HP I would check that the cutting deck is level as measured from the blade tips to a flat level ground surface and make sure the front to back pitch is 1/4" with the front lower than the back. This will ensure a great looking cut and will enhance the striping effect.

Anyway, best of Luck with the HP!

2002 LazerZ60" 25HP Kohler

BTW. Comparing the Lazer price to quotes for professional lawn service for my lawn (lawn cutting only), the Lazer will pay for itself in 2.7 seasons.