Residential Valve box preference

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by duckworth, Jul 1, 2012.

1. duckworth

duckworth LawnSite Member

W & L of Box ?
    Height of box ?
    # of valves per box?
    1" ss or 1" thr thr
  2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

if you are a professional you already know the answer.

if not ask your supplier and they will tell you what is the most common for your area.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
  3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

I use coffee cans on the budget jobs. My supplier just started carrying the Rainbird boxes that have the knock outs I have used a few and they are pretty nice.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. mrsteve

mrsteve LawnSite Member

I can tell you what I like to see on a system as a repairman. One valve per box, 10" with a positive type locking lid (armor - ametek). For commercial set at grade and accessible, residential set below grade and covered with turf or mulch if in the bed. I like to see threaded valves, so that I can spin the valve off the main if it needs to be replaced (no solvent welding the main side). The installers will not agree due to the extra cost of these items. I've got a new commercial system that has NDS boxes and the lids just don't seem to stay locked, then the lawn boys come through a scatter the lid in several pieces. It's a preference that you will have to weigh yourself, that's just my opinion.
  5. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

you're nucking futts :hammerhead:
  6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

4 vlaves in a 6 inch standard
    5-6 in a jumbo
    1 single valve in a 10 round.
    splices in an econo.
  7. mrsteve

mrsteve LawnSite Member

I can find the valves when needed on residential. I don't want to see boxes (except the backflow) in my yard. In a 10" box the valve can be rebuilt without disturbing the surrounding soil. Cut the sod away on the lid then replace it. You were never there, in most cases.
  8. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, just like I've found residential valves, underneath a concrete air conditioner pad.

Never hide what ain't meant to be hid. Stand a garden gnome on the cover if it bothers you that much.
  9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I didn't realize you were offering your services as a valve box marker. :laugh:
  10. mrsteve

mrsteve LawnSite Member

Sorry, but that's pretty funny.