Residential vs Commercial mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Yerkz, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Yerkz

Yerkz LawnSite Member

Hi, I am new to the lawn care business and am looking to line up 10 to 15 lawns to mow this season with the average lot in my area being .5 acre. I will be buying a mower soon and have been going over alot of diffrent options and know that a commercial grade mower is definitely going to hold up better, but was just wondering what the diffrence is. Besides the engines what other diffrences are there in the construction of the mowers.

I have seen for example 50" Cub Cadet mowers at the local Tractor Supply for $3,000. They also sell the same size mower for $4,000 with the heavy duty label on it, but I did not see any diffrence.

Hopefully some of the veterans on this site could help me out on my decision making. I am looking to spend the least to get the most. There are alot of options in my area as far as commercial brands go: Exmark, Dixon, Skag, Bad Boy. My price range is $3,500-$5,000 and would like a 48"-52" ztr.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

over all construction. heavy gauge steel more rugged so it can work 50 hours a week as opposed to 2 a week

3. lsu03

lsu03 LawnSite Senior Member

in that price range you could probably get a new,nice 48" wb w/ a sulky.

4. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I recommend a Commercial WB eXmark is good brand many dealers everywhere... ...
    ZTR residential decks have thin steel, cheaper made engines, can't handle alot of man hrs ...
    Tell you what, kick a residential deck, then kick a commercial one, tell me which one moves ..J/k ...

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

it looks like that your target Customer is going to be Residential, knowing this I'm thinking maybe you should think about getting into gates and such.

6. barefeetny

barefeetny LawnSite Senior Member

Hopefully some of the veterans on this site could help me out on my decision making. I am looking to spend the least to get the most. Then buy used

There are alot of options in my area as far as commercial brands go: Exmark, Dixon, Skag, Bad Boy. My price range is $3,500-$5,000 and would like a 48"-52" ztr.

For the 10-15 1/2 acre lots your hoping on getting

Heres my advice buy a used 36-48" belt driven wb...no more then 1000$ learn to close deals, get some accounts..learn the buisness. then go buy a huge ztr

Just my .02
    Nate

7. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

The main thing with commercial equipment is it is fully serviceable, they have many grease fittings around the whole mower, many replaceable bairings, and you can replace 99% of the parts. Residential mowers basically become throw away mowers as soon as they go down. You should be able to get in between comm. and residential for ex. ( quick mowers) last thing you want is a break down and not able to fix.

8. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

I always thought a Quick was fully Commercial (or so I was told by BOP)......an "in between" mower that is new to me.....:confused:

9. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe he was referring, to the availability of Quick parts vs other mainstream brands...
    If a quick goes down parts have to be ordered, with (MAJOR) brands, dealers usually have parts in stock 99% of time...

10. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Get a Bad Boy ZT with the 23hp/50" deck. It sells for $4995 and has a 23hp Vanguard engine w/ a Donaldson canister filter and oil cooler, baffled fabricated 7 gauge deck (which no other mower will have at that price point), 1.5" cast iron spindles, an electric deck lift, 7mph forward speed, ZT2800 transaxles (which other $5000 mowers won't have), Timken tapered roller bearings on front casters, and Fusion high lift blades. We sell so many of this 23/50" at our store because it's such an unbeatable value.

Even if you don't buy a Bad Boy, buy commercial. Commercial mowers have commercial engines with oil coolers and canister filters (plus 2 year warranties vs 1 or less on residential engines), baffled fabricated decks, larger spindles, and are just built so much better. Actually, most other $5000 mowers only have 1" aluminum spindles. Look hard! Bad Boy has got the competition hands down at this price point.