1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

residential vs commercial

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ercrvs24, Jun 16, 2005.

1. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

What's the big difference between residential ztrs and commercial besides fuel capacity. They're still hydro drive. Are the blade rpm slower, parts not last as long, lack of cut quality? thanx
  2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

The differences are the same as with a 21 inch push mower. Frame and deck steel thickness,bearing size, pulley and belt size and quality.And the list goes on and on. In most cases you get what you pay for.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Just about every single thing on them.....
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Basically the difference is in how long they last...

A residential unit is designed to handle ONE yard, and if used as such, will last 5, 10, or 20-some years.
    A commercial unit is designed to handle as many yards as YOU can handle and when used as such, will last 7-12 years, depending on various factors.

So if you plan on using a piece of equipment a LOT (like every day), then get a commercial unit. If, however, you only plan on using it every once in a while (like once, maybe twice/month or LESS), then get a home-owner's model (residential).

Using a residential unit commercially (i.e.: 20-some yards/week or so) will result in a TON of down-time due to parts that were not designed to handle the stress. Where a home-owner's model may require maintenance once a year (or 3), the poor LCO using it will be servicing their unit about once/ week or so.

I have SOME residential equipment, specifically my hedge trimmers, the chainsaw and the edger are all home-owners models. I only use each of them maybe 12-20 times/year and thus have no real probs with them.

5. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

As others have said there are many differences deck thickness, fuel capacity, bearings, etc. The biggest difference (besides engine choice on most units) will be the drive systems. Res units use 2 hydro transmissions while a comm unit will have independant pump & wheel motors.

Believe it or not, there is really not that much difference in blade tip speed. Ground speed yes.
  6. grasshopperslc

grasshopperslc LawnSite Member

Just look at them!! Every thing on a commercial ZTR is bigger and thicker !!

The Deck,frame,pulleys,engine,Ect.