1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Residential yards 1/4-1/2 acre average size. Whats the best mower setup?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Holland, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking of getting a nice 21 inch push mower and a 36 walk behind.
    But, I see a bunch of posts on the 30 inch push mowers.
    I have an older Toro residential 21 I can get away with using for a while if need be.What should be my next purchase? A 30 inch or 36 walk behind? Or both? Or should I bump up to a zero turn 48 or so?
    I appreciate any opinions on my setup.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

Go 48 z and the 21. Big open areas can be done in seconds and trim with the 21

IXINRGIXI LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 36" walkbehind for gated areas and the a 52" walkbehind for bigger areas. Leave a rider/ztr for 60"
  4. 123hotdog

123hotdog LawnSite Senior Member

If I already had a 21" push mower, I would buy a 48" walk behind. The 48" will mow everything hills and all; the 21 will fit where it won't. A 48" walk behind is as versatile as it gets. I mowed with junk the first few years and I always said if I had it to do over again I'd used a good 48" walk behind.
  5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Those lawn sizes are a standers sweet spot. You will be extremely efficient with a stander on 1/4-1/2 acre lots. I would go for a 48 if you don't have gates to deal with.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Holland

Holland LawnSite Senior Member

All yards I will do have gates. In my neighborhood our gates have two openings at about total 6 foot opening. I assume all the gate openings are this size in this area. So looks like a 48 will work.
    Now instead of using my old residential 21 Toro I need to either buy that Toro 30 or that Toro 21 with Honda engine. Decisions Decisions.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Gates are the deciding factor if you got them you need a small mower to fit in them. To show the difference here we would use a 52 in some crews and most would opt for a 60 and a few would take a 72 and all would work fine here on lawns that small.
  8. smallstripesnc

smallstripesnc LawnSite Senior Member

I personally have a 21 inch toro commercial proline with the bullet proof suzuki engine and a gravely 36in hydro walk behind for the gated lawns or ones with hills too steep for a ztr and a gravely 52in pro turn 152 for the flatter lawns, not gated (or gates big enough for 52inches) and slightly bigger lawns.
  9. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 21", a 36" and a 60" mower. I work alone on the size lawns that you mentioned. I had a 50" before I got the 60" and I've never regretted replacing the 50" with the 60".
  10. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

For your size property I would go with 36 walk behind if you to trough gates A ztr 48 will do you no good:waving: