Residential ZT Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LeeS., Apr 23, 2008.

1. LeeS.

LeeS. LawnSite Member

I'm looking to buy a new riding mower for my home. I have less than 1 acre and I have a yard that is sloped. I would like a zero turn mower for future use. I have looked at scag and john deere. What type/size/brand mower would you recommend. I'm a consumer, so what product will give me the most bang for my buck?
  2. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go with either one of those two mowers. Mainly it just depends on which one is a better dealer in your area. I would buy somewhere between a 48"-54" mower. I think that would fit your need the best and last for years to come.
  3. mjlepak

mjlepak LawnSite Member

I don't have any experience with the Deere ZTR's but the Scag Freedom Z is one I looked at recently when deciding on what to purchase. I think it was around 5k, had some very nice features, and Scag seems to have a good reputation for quality products. It has a 48" deck which should be plenty for 1 acre.

I am not sure about the slopes. I have never had to use a ZTR on slopes and I guess it would depend on how steep they are, can you mow down the hill, etc.
  4. Happy Frog

Happy Frog LawnSite Bronze Member

Bad Boy and Hustler have good entry level ZTR which are suitable for pro use as well.
  5. ScagDaddy

ScagDaddy LawnSite Member

Scag Tiger Cub. I did the same as you and I bought the Cub...but I'm mowing a few more acres.
  6. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup, Bad Boy, Hustler and Scag would be my top 3.
  7. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

1.Buy a good name brand. scag, exmark,bad boy,gravely,dixie chopper,john deere ect.
    2. whatever ZTR you buy should be equipped with full size tires (holds better on slopes)
    3. 48" deck is good for resi work but if you can fit it buy a 52"
    4. Buy you equipment from a dealer that can do any of your warrenty work (No home cheepo junk)
    you dont need to spend a fortune just pay for the quality mower now or spend the rest of your time wondering what you could have had for a few dollars more. Also commericial equipment has a better resale value then a low rent resi model mower........... Just my two pennys!