Residential ZTR Choice

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Rasolomg23, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Rasolomg23

Rasolomg23 LawnSite Member

I know... probably beat to death.

I am a newbie when it comes to cutting grass, but I just bought a house with 3 acres to cut. Flat as a pancake, but lots of trees in the front yard.

Want a ZTR, but not sure how big I should go on the deck, engine, etc.

I would like to spend about 6k but will go higher.

Please help!

Thanks.

2. jrs mowing

jrs mowing LawnSite Member

Try a exmark lazer hp 23hp/52" :cool2:

3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I would suggest that you try a Grasshopper 220. It has a 20 hp Kohler engine and a 52" deck and it is in the price range of around $6000. This mower is cheaper than an exmark and just as good. The company has been around since 1970.

4. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Check www.countryclipper.com to see if there's a dealer near you. Also scroll down to the Homeowners Assistance Forum for responses to similar questions. Good luck...

5. Simplyhere

Simplyhere LawnSite Member

I'll second the 220/52 Grasshopper. That's what I bought, based on a number of demos, reputation and almost the EXACT price you quote. (You can email me for more details if you'd like).

So far, it's just incredible, really. Runs like a sewing machine, cuts fantastic and the maintenance regimen is easy access, etc. My "main" thing is going to be cutting my own yard, and perhaps another few per week if I get up the courage to do so.

If I were going to be a 45 hour per week guy, full-time LCO then I would take the advice of these pros...probably an Exmark or Toro, WITH a larger motor, more accessories, etc. But for the typical homeowner with 3 acres, like you describe, the Grasshopper is as good as anything that's out there for the money.

6. Rasolomg23

I demoed the Grasshopper, Ferris i3000, and JD 737 this weekend, and I liked the JD best of all. Just a little hesitant to get a 23 hp w/ 60" deck.

But I'm not the kind of person to let the yard get out of hand, so do you think 23 hp is enough?

BTW I was quoted a price of $6850 at Hendren's in Indiana for the 737.

7. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

23 hp would be plenty for what you are going to be mowing.

8. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

23's on a 61''ers OK if you know you'r going to mowing reguarly. A 25 would be good.
    Ya know..............Bit more versitile.
    If you know you'r gunna keep on top of the lawns at you'r place year round a 23 would be fine.
    Even if you'r lawns do get a BIT long and you have the 23, it just means an extra pass or two with the deck on a high setting

If you have lot's of trees mate, I would strongly suggest a 61'' for the extra trim factor.

Trim on a 52'' is pretty minimal and you'll be clashin heads with branchs on a 52'' alot more than 62''er.
    With a 62''er you'll be able to shimy the trim side of the deck under low branches etc with alot more conveniance and effectiveness.

JD would be a great ZTR for your usage in my opinion.

Have a look at Great Dane too mate. I think they have longish term no intrest financing and overall the prices of Great Dane seem to be pretty competative in the US market form what I've seen.

Good Luck with it all mate!!

9. HisMoney

HisMoney LawnSite Member

Rasolomg23,

Before you make a final decision, you may want to try out a Hustler machine.
    They have the best warranty in the business, bar none.
    -2 yr bumper to bumper (parts and labor)
    -Lifetime on tractor frame
    -Lifetime on leading edge of deck
    -3 yr on blade spindle bearings
    -3 yr on the front caster fork bearings

They make an excellent machine for homeowner use. It's called the Hustler FasTrak. MSRP for a 20HP / 52" cut is $5699.00 payup

I use the Hustlers in my commercial business. You can move up to a commercial unit for around $6800 and above (with some good negotiations). I just bought a new Hustler Z w/ a 27HP / 52" cut with a suspension seat for 7k.(MSRP is $9300)
    They are also offering a great finance program (see site)

Check' m out! www.hustlerturfequipment.com

Hope that helps out.
    Take care :waving:

10. Rasolomg23

I am really leaning towards the 737. At this point, the deck height adjustment ease, seat, and overall feel have convinced me 99.9%.

I will keep what you say in mind about hustlers, but the dealer in Terre Haute is a shady character.