Residential ztr that bad of an idea?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nola lawn maintenance, Feb 10, 2012.

1. nola lawn maintenance

nola lawn maintenance LawnSite Member

Im to the point where it's time to make a move and buy a ztr. I have a few friends in this business and some use commercial grade and others use residential grade. Both are happy. All of my properties at this time ( a total of 15, none are commercial) are manicured. I would not be going into overgrown lots. Anyone been in this spot before?

2. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you asking whether or not you should buy commercial vs non commercial rated equipment?

3. nola lawn maintenance

nola lawn maintenance LawnSite Member

Yes. I have been going back and forth between commercial and residential. I have always used 21" commercial wb. I just can't do it anymore. When I settle on commercial i start worrying about the price, then when i settle on residential i worry about the quality of the equipment. It's a vicious cycle, lol.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  4. lukespapa

lukespapa LawnSite Member

Have you thought about the Snapper Pro? I was interested in this before I bought my Gravely Compact Pro 34. My problem was that I was ready to buy, and could not find a dealer that had the Snapper in stock. I read many good things about these, and would definitely consider in the future. This may be a good compromise between commercial and residential. And I believe there is plenty of info on the Snapper Pro here on Lawnsite.

5. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't want to buy residential equipment for commercial use. Just when I needed it the most it would break down.

6. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

commercial mowers usually have thicker, higher grade steel for decks, etc... different warranty regarding hours. Some components in the drive and engine may be higher quality.

Personally, you're better to go commercial. But it depends on your costs and how long you plan on being in business.

If you just want to make some money this summer and get out. Go residential. If you want to grow and grow, look at commercial equipment.

7. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

The answer, to me, is basically whether you want to go cheap now, purchase something that will get you by, or spend some money and get a piece of equipment that will last you well into the future, and will handle the load with a minimum of issues as your business increases. I vote for the latter.

8. There's a reason mowers are commercial grade. They are made to be used professionally. Even if u only plan to do a few yards, you may grow and want to do this full time. Buy commercial from the get-go. Better resale too. If u can't afford new, buy used.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. BPS##

BPS## LawnSite Senior Member
    from WY

Very good advice.

There are some great used machines around. Just gotta look for them.

Some one mentioned warranty..... if you buy a home owner grade and use it commercially you run the risk of voiding the warranty.

10. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

What have you been using? Just Commerical 21"s.

If this is the case buy a used 36" to 48" w/b mower. It will be more productive and reliable than a residential ztr. If you can buy a new w/b do that.

What you will find is by doing that you will cut down on your time with your current accounts so you have more time getting more.