Residential ZTR - Which is better - New or Used?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dmfletcher, Sep 13, 2007.

1. dmfletcher

dmfletcher LawnSite Member

Trying to decide which ZTR to purchase for my residential yard. Currently, it takes me about 45 minutes to push-mow with 21" UNpropelled Toro Recycler. I'm getting tired of push mowing my cabbage-like fescue 3 times a week in the spring and fall and want a ZTR.

Having just returned from the KS state fair, my choices (in order) are Jazee One (Country Clipper), Dixon & Hustler Mini. However, my wife has imposed some budgetary constraints on me. Am I better off buying a new, lower-end residential ZTR (John Deer, Toro, etc.) or a used higher-end residential ZTR (Country Clipper, Dixon, Hustler)?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Wichita, KS
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

What dealers do you have in your area? This is critical to know as you will need strong dealer support for the Z when you need service for it. Give us a idea of what the lower end models (hp, width of cut, model, etc) are as well as the higher end used models (hp, width of cut, model, etc) are.
  3. dmfletcher

dmfletcher LawnSite Member

To my knowledge, I have Hustler, Country Clipper, Toro, Snapper, Grasshopper, Dixon...trying to think of others, but coming up short. I'm sure many of the dealers carry more than one brand.
  4. nmurph

nmurph LawnSite Senior Member
    from ga

if your yard is less than 1 ac, i would recommend the Hustler Mini Fasttrak. Great cut, reliable, great factory support.
  5. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I think the Toro resi units look really cheap, but this is my opinion...I am comparing to their commercial stuff which is built like a tank.
  6. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

if you are going to buy a ztr get a heavy duty commerical one not a cheap resi one...i myself would not buy a ztr that someone used on a commerical crew b/c more then likely they will be beat to hell b/c there is a reason why he is getting rid of it....i bought a toro z master back in 1999 to cut my 1ac yard its a 44" cut with a 17hp kawi motor haven't done anything to it since 99 besides change the oil grease it and change the blades and put 2 batteries in it...yeah it was almost 6k but its been 8yrs and i don't see why i couldn't get another 8yrs or more out of it......

but like the others have said what dealers are in your area would help me make up my mind go to them and talked to them alot might let you demo there mower at your place i know the toro rep did......
  7. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

Excellent suggestion for the money. Great machine. :usflag:
  8. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are cutting your whole lot in 45 minutes with a non-propelled push mower, you must have something less than an acre. I'm a home owner who strongly favors a commercial ZTR used only for my own lot, but it might be an overkill for yours. I also have a Quick 36 for my hills that the ZTR won't do (or at least I'm too chicken to try it). I bought the ZTR years before I got the Quick 36, but if my ZTR ever dies on me, although I don't believe it will, I'm sure I could do everything with the Quick 36. If you have made up your mind that you have to have a ZTR even if it's a much inferior non-commercial one, then I guess that's where you are going. But I think you should also consider the Quick models, 36 or 44. If you don't want to walk, you can always get a sulky too. I think mine is a fine machine, and it sounds like there are a lot of pros that would agree with me. Just a thought & suggestion, but that's what you asked for.