1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Residents planting in common areas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TripleT'sLawnCare, Sep 11, 2005.

1. TripleT'sLawnCare

TripleT'sLawnCare LawnSite Member

I just took on a H.O.A. Great account. I started it 2 months ago. Last week I was out to mow and one of the residents had planted 80-100 pine trees on the back bank of a retention pond next to the inside wall that surrounds the community. The trees were planted in two rows about 2 feet apart. No way to get my Z-turn mower between the trees or between the back trees and the wall. This guy is a member of the board and the one guy who voted against me getting the account. I knocked on the guys door and ask him what exactly he expected me to do with these trees. His response was that he got them free from the state and put them there to be a "sound barrier" to block the traffic noise from the road. He went on to say that it would not take me that long to trim around them, and I am getting good money for this account and this will just have to be part of it. I just signed a 3 year contract with them and this is my best account to date. Any ideas on how to handle the situation or should I just suck it up and trim around them. :realmad:
  2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

pull up every other one so you can mow around them. its not good to have them that close. as for the ones you removed... plant them in a close pattern across his front yard and tell him its a ****** barrier.

next time you sign a contract... have it state that price is only good for current layout of land and will change if additions or subtractions are made to the land. next week that guy will put an island in the middle of the pond and expect you to swim out and mow it too!
  3. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

Sure would be tempted to just mow 'em down. All those trees weren't there when you signed the contract .

The guy told you it won't take that long for you to trim around them. Baloney -- 80 or 100 trees ?

It might be wise for you to have an uninterested party read what the contract says. Somebody (the guy) has thrown you a spitball.

4. TripleT'sLawnCare

TripleT'sLawnCare LawnSite Member

The H.O.A. president seems to be a real nice guy. But I know that he is not going to pay me any extra for this. I just sent him an e-mail and let him know that I would not be responsible for these trees or trimming around them and I consider this the guy who planted them's responsibility. He responded right away that he would call the guy tomorrow night and "discuss the situation" with him. :dizzy:
  5. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

2 things:
    1. dont bother with em if they werent there when you signed contract.
    2. go ahead and trim around em but when you do ring em real good so they will die then when dead just mow over em.
  6. westwind

westwind LawnSite Senior Member

more time for less money? sounds like a bad deal. you need to get paid for the work that you do. if the h.o.a is really that bad, let someone else have it. JMO payup
  7. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Check the "Covenants" for the H. O. Association regarding use and modification of the commons area. This guy may be in violation of them. If so, the Association Board may have something to say to him about them. Your contact with the Board president may be the easiest way to find out. If they expect you to do more than the initial contract/agreement called for, they should expect to start looking for a new sucker. If they keep changing the rules, it won't be your best account for long.

(I liked Bryans '****** Barrier' idea. LOL )

Good luck.....Jim
  8. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Based on your contact with the HOA president it sounds like you are already taking the right steps. Just let him know that this was a significant modification and you will have to raise the price if they expect you to trim around them.
  9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The trees won't grow big enough to act as a sound barrier, anyway. He's got them so close together, they'll basically crowd each other out and REALLY slow growth down in 3 years, anyway.
  10. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Triple T... What ever happened with the guy that planted the trees in the commons area. Are they still there and what did the HOA say or do?

Let us know.....Jim