residentual yards are killing me! only able to do 3 a day.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QualityLawnCare4u, Jun 1, 2004.

1. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I just read some post here that really make me look bad. Some solo are doing 10-15 yards a day. My best day in 6 years has been 7 i one day! Here is my daily schedule, First yard is 35 minute drive, Get there at 7.30am. Trim srubbery, pick up limbs and pine cones,edge,weedeat, and mow. Yard is 2.5 acres with about 100 large pines. Finish blowing off drive at 10.30am. Customer talks for half hour while Im trying to politely leave. Leave at 11.30. Next yard is another 30 minute drive and takes about 2 hours. Now 2pm. Load up and go to next yard another 30 minute drive and 2 hour yard. Now 4.30 and another 20 minute drive home. My hole day is gone and I ddnt even quite break 200 dollars. This travel time is killing me. Business is so bad here I have to take/beg what I can get. Tommorow my scheduel is about the same as today and I have 3 yards lined up tommorow. I know what I need is a LOT of yards in one location or some good commercial accounts but they aint here! Good luck to all you lucky folks and as Ive said before, welcome to Waycross and SE Georgia

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Man, you need to get your accounts alot closer to each other.
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

the problem is your drive time. You need to eliminate that quick like
  4. D Fricks

D Fricks LawnSite Member

Hardworking - Poorman,
    I live up in North Georgia Business is about the same here my big problem is so many new people starting Lawn Care Businesses. Every one I bid someone out bids me. pretty soon no one will be making any proffit Good Luck!
  5. QualityLawnCare4u

Tiediman and eastpro, you are right, I need to get closer accounts but Im doing the best I can do in this area. I saw 2 new lco today with the poulan-stanley mowers in back on beat up trailor and said to myself theirs 2 more 10 dollars ones for me to compete with. I need desperately some large commercial accounts or close residentual. DFricks I know what you mean, good luck to ya.

6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Move...i hear or not many people on this site from California. I bet you wont run into any mexicans out there!.

7. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

just dont get too close to the border...:)
  8. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

There isn't much one can do about drive time in rural Georgia.

In the bedroom communities of Atlanta, we have subdivisions with 300+ homes. Most have yards around 5,000-7,000 sq ft on average. Since the neighborhoods are mostly new, what few trees that exist are small. No pine needles or cones. You just mow, edge, blow and then on to the next one. I'd say $40 would be an average rate for that type of yard here. Some more, some less.

By comparison, the properties in your area should be at least $80 each, but my gut tells me that folks there would never pay that rate.
  9. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

If that was me, I'd pack it in and go work at Walmart or Mcdonalds..... Either that or speed things up tremdously. You're "out working" from 7:30 to 5:00 pm, so thats like 9 hours time, to make $180 or $20 an hour GROSS. Take out taxes, your vehicle and gas expenses, etc and like I said, you'd be better off at Walmart packing out pillows for $9.00 an hour. <G>
  10. QualityLawnCare4u

Turfunlimited, your gut feeling was right LOL for me to get $80 for a yard it has to be one bad, wastehigh, not been mowed in 2 years, and the size of a large parking lot, be there all day yards. The one like you just said you get 40 will go around here for 15-20. Thats why I take d@mn good care of the few good ones I got