Respirator or No Respirator??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ultracut518, Feb 25, 2009.

1. ultracut518

ultracut518 LawnSite Member

This topic was brought up recently in another thread (Fogged Up), so I figured it would be a good topic of its own.........

So who is (or is not) wearing a respirator or dust mask while making applications (such as liqued broadleaf herb, etc.)??

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Does the label state that a respirator or mask must be worn (PPE)? If not, then I don't believe there is reason to wear one. Not to mention, if you are out, wearing a face mask, when it's not needed, it's just going to aid in giving the chemical industry a worse imiage. However if YOU feel more comfortable protecting youself then by all means, do it. Just like wearing eye or ear protection while running equipment, or sun screen or long sleeves in the summer, it's a personal choice you have to make about your own body.

3. foreplease

foreplease LawnSite Bronze Member

I always wear a respirator. I think it gives me and the industry a better image.

4. what ever the label says wear, I do.

5. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

wearing a respirator when not needed is the exact opposite of the image I want to portray of our industry.

why portray that what you are spraying is dangerous to inhale, if it is not?

6. ultracut518

ultracut518 LawnSite Member

good points

7. Ducke

Ducke LawnSite Senior Member

I never wear one .
    Around here if I wore a mask I would have 3/4 of green peace on my a$$.:hammerhead:
    anyways what we use here is environmentally safe and applies to all anti pesticide laws ;)

8. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

Nova Scotia? Grass grows in Nova Scotia? :)

9. Ducke

Ducke LawnSite Senior Member

Well for at least two months of the years is dose. :rolleyes:

10. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

I tell you one darn thing............The label tells you to wear coveralls????????? I am not wearing coverall for anyone and that includes the late-great Roy Clarke!!!!!
    I wear Nitrile gloves approved by niosh, boots and socks( If you are spraying barefoot, then you need your head examined.) Longsleeve shirt, and chemical or water resistant chaps...............! If I have to look like a NASA Astronaut and will die of heat stroke from all of the appropriate PPE, then I will quit the business........... Tell these regulators to go out on a day that is 115 degrees with 50% relative humidity and wear this damn stuff! End of Story!

As far as respirator, When I am applying 3-way material or Pre-M herbicides. Insecticides.......You better believe it!!!!!!!!!!!