1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Respond!!! Respond!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by anthony reyes, Jun 4, 2004.

1. anthony reyes

anthony reyes LawnSite Member

I am reading alot about distributing flyers from these "threads"
    I have a couple of questions.
    Wouldn't it be faster to go to a huge parking lot and place the flyer on the windsheild or driverside door? Than go from house to house?
    Is knocking door to door and talking to people more effective than just leaving a flyer on the door and "running"?

please help!, Just getting started.
  2. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I personally think its too late in the season to be handing out flyers. But, going door to door is a lot more effective than putting them in a parking lot.
  3. Show-Me Lawn Care

Show-Me Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Parking lot distribution could be a bad idea. Many people will just throw them on the lot and drive off. Several hundred flyers blowing around that ALL have your business name & phone # on them could be a bad situation, especially if the police come calling to give you a big littering fine or something.
  4. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

the parking lot idea is a bad one if you're trying to tarket a specific neighborhood. The calls you get will be from all over the place. Going door to door is not a fun thing to do, but at least you can target the area that you want to work. Also, you can see the property before you try and earn their buisness.
  5. blankenshiplawncare

blankenshiplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that advertising in neighborhood association news letters is the most effective way of getting a target market or neighborhood. I have decided to mail out some post card mailers to specific streets in neighborhoods. This will keep me from blanketing the area and running up my costs. I advertised in the local news paper, 65,000 circulation and 5 days for $560.00 (4X4in ad), got ZERO response. I take that back, the LESCO guy told me how much he liked my ad when I was buying some fertilizer from him. You get the point....
  6. divi

divi LawnSite Member

Personally, I use road side 'site signs' that I get from http://www.asavealotsign.com/. I get a ton of business this way. It seems tacky, but to be honest I get a ton of wealthy clientele because there too busy to read the paper of flip through the phone book. I send surveys to my clients as well, they agree its tacky but they also say it works and makes you stand out.

If your looking for upscale clientele don't bother with the phone book - try a web site. There are just too many listings in the phone to differentiate yourself with a one line listing.

When I first started out I did the same thing you did - flyers, direct mail postcards - just try the signs and don't worry about what people think. Nickle and dimers are just that no matter where they advertise - you have to differentiate yourself with professionalism and service - nothing else matters.
  7. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I'm putting out 7000 flyers this week. Spent almost $500.00 in newspaper ads, got ONE call. I always get a good response from flyers. I am running an Independence special, one free year maintenance on all new garden installs, and 5th cut free. I'm using a temp agency, and got over 1000 out today, more for tomorrow.
  8. the weed man

the weed man LawnSite Member

i know it is real late in the season but i need to get a few more accounts..i have a 1000 printed and im haveing a friends wife pass them out along her mail route..she is a full time sub and is in various areas each day so this can get them out in many areas, for free! im going to toss her 25.00 anyways...
  9. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its never too late if you need the work. I handed out only 50 fliers last week and got a full mowing account and two dethatching jobs for the fall.Plus just got another call from someone who wants an estimate.I must have hit a nice area i plan on going back and hitting the whole development now:D
  10. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, by all means, try it. Perhaps the flyer should say something like "Respond, respond" Most people like getting flyers on their vehicles.