Response rate on postcards.

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by A1Lawns, Jan 12, 2007.

1. A1Lawns

A1Lawns LawnSite Member

When mailing out or passing out postcards, flyers, etc., has anyone ever figured the response rate for different types of ads such as those with or without color, those with full color photos,etc.?
    I'm going to get a bunch of postcards printed but not sure if I will do full color with photos or 2-3 colors without photos. The price difference is HUGE which is why I'm wondering.
    Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, we have and "no" we cannot help you. No one can! This is one of those things that varies so dramatically that you must track it yourself and work towards improving it.

Ideally:

1-2% on 4 X 6" postcards and door hangers
    2-3% on 4 X 6" postcards w direct mail
    4-5% on 8 X 5.5" postcards
    5-6% on jumbo postcards w direct mail

Every other form of ad is very unpredictable for anyone other than you. We are ignorant to your practices and materials.

3. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

You should worry more about cost per customer than the responce rate.

4. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

Where do you get these numbers from??
    Show some proof , please .

My guess is 3 clients out of 1000 cards
    I have read that is the national standard

5. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

Your rate will have a number of variables. It really depends on how well you are targeting your desired customer. 3 out of 1000 sounds like it would be average if you are mailing to everyone and their brother. If you are mailing to people that are in your market (e.g. outdoor lighting: Maybe 450K+ house value and above with house hold income of 150K+ then your % would be higher)

jmo

6. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I can't see 5-6% on a 1 time mailing of post cards. I've been studying direct mail for a long time and unless your giving away lap dances or something, i just can't see that response!

7. Team-Green L&L

The numbers I gave are from our Marketing Reports. I cannot "show" them to you, nor would I do so.

These numbers are considering that; we pay for graphics design (most of the time) and I'm not too shabby at it, I have been marketing for 10 years and keep up on marketing trends on a daily basis, and we have developed a very targeted market.

Without all those elements, those numbers may be wrong. I cannot give accurate numbers about another persons ability in their market with their materials. That would be impossible.

8. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not how big the post card is , it's how many times do you see it.

It is better to send 'em 7 weeks in a row than one big card , 1 time .

Ya ever notice why commercials play over & over & over .
    Repeat something ,that is how they will remember you.

I think your marketing skills are lacking , just a little
    Could be wrong

9. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Although I agree with your statement about repeating is better than size, I think that TeamGreen has is act together in marketing.

10. Team-Green L&L

The number of runs is a factor also, but size DOES matter. I don't have time to explain right now (besides...my marketing skills are slacking :dizzy: ). Do a search on some of my posts before assuming I'm ignorant. I take criticism well, so I'm not offended or insulted. I'm sure your stripes are better than mine, but I've been in marketing for a year or two.