1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

response rate

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by mulchmaster, Mar 4, 2007.

1. mulchmaster

mulchmaster LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I know there are a few guys out there that advertise religiously. I am getting ready to do a mailing and don't know how many to send out. I have 5,000 good addresses that I hand picked. Every postcard is going to a home in a very nice area. My question is what kind of response rate can I expect out of this. I know it depends alot on the weather, but out of 5000 postcards how many calls can I expect to get?

Thanks to ALL Andrew

2. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Kind of hard to say, not knowing what you're advertising. Is there a special offer or an attention getter?

Anyway, I think 1-2% is generally accepted as a decent return.....

3. mulchmaster

from ohio

Sorry about that, I am advertising a full service lawn care and landscaping company. I am getting ready to have the postcards printed and didn't plan on any deals. post cards are being professionally done, so they will look great. I thought about third cut free, but I still don't know for sure. I know I should already have this done, but we are moving and I don't have the ok from the state on my new name. I have no problem printing more postcards, but I am going from a 3 man operation to working by myself and I don't want to be spread to thin.

Thanks Andrew

4. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

OK, 75 calls and you will close 30.....

:D

Just kidding. Every new mailing is a crap shoot, IMO. Especially in this business, with weather playing such a critical role.

My experience has been a 1.5% return on a nicely done (unpriced but targeted) postcard with no special deals. 40% close rate on fertilizer programs, higher close rate for mowing and lower for landscaping.

Good luck

5. mulchmaster

from ohio

When I read your first line I almost fell over. Thanks for your help, starting over kinda sucks. My new area is much better suited for my business, so it is well worth it.

6. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

7. mulchmaster

from ohio

Southwest ohio

8. Perfect Lawn

Perfect Lawn LawnSite Member

I mailed out 300 last week not one call yet.... 10% off coupon on there and 1/2 off mowing. Might be just a tad bit too early for me in my area.