1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Response time, not price, wins jobs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mykster, Sep 17, 2002.

Response time, not price, wins jobs

Poll closed Sep 19, 2002.
  1. yes

24 vote(s)
  2. no

13 vote(s)
  1. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Do you agree? And why?

There was an article in the back of Aug's issue of LM. I'm sure some of you read it and some have not. I found the article very interesting and didn't realize that this was such a deciding factor to the potential client.

Everyone is also different on how they choose any contractor for their services. So maybe Ed LaFlamme's(tester and writer of the article) reason to choose might be different than sombody elses.
  2. marley

marley LawnSite Member

I totally agree! I will sometimes get a job just by being the first to give the estimate and date that I can get it done . People really like that, and alot of the time they just say "ok I'll go with you " It is a matter of convience for people. They don't want to waste a lot of time meeting with other companys.
  3. Toatlandscape

Toatlandscape LawnSite Member

I agree. I don't know how many customers have told me that they called several people and I was the only one to call or show up when I said I would. Most were slam dunks as far as getting the job after that.
  4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Agree and disagree. It depends on what your bidding. Grass cutting for residential is usually who arrives first. Bigger jobs is not usually the case.
  5. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I'm with To A T. I hear it all the time. It kills me knowing I get alot of jobs just because nobody else comes out to bid. We are always at the site within the next day after they call and we come with a date we can get it done by. No one likes to fool around with having to call around for any home services so if you can fill the need and they aren't just tire kickers we get the job most times.
  6. MJStrain

MJStrain LawnSite Member

I'm always at a job site with all the info they could possibly want within an hour. I've never lost a bid. So I'd have to put at least some legitimacy behind the first there gets it theory. However, if I were the one getting the pricing done for my own yard, price would have a lot to do with who got the work. I can also tell you it wouldn't be the company that wanted me to sign a contract either. I'd have the attitude I just want my lawn mowed not marry you.

7. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Residentials...I agree.

Commercial...I disagree.
  8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Be careful...you might be too cheap. I was told if you get all your estimates you are working for peanuts.
  9. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I agree with Ken. If you are getting all the bids you need to bump up the price. Make more and work less :blob3:
  10. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

With the Jim,s Mowing franchise they can send you a new clients details within 11 seconds of the clients call(the computer sends a text message to your cell phone),so we can get there real quick,but while it impresses the client you don't get(or want)every job just because you show up first.:)