Response time to fliers?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Mr.Stripey Lawn Care, May 4, 2003.

1. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Last week I put out my first 15 fliers, and I know that is not nearly enough to really expect a response. My targets were in a new subdivision that every house is under a year old, and the residents have been living there for much less. There lawns did not appear to be mowed at all this year(were about 8 to 10 inches tall) so I thought it was a good prospect. I put a lot of effort into my flyers, full color fresh off the ink-jet, and look very professional in my opinion. I put them in those clear door hanger bags that I ordered, and since I just got off of my current full-time job, I was burning daylight, and couldn't walk up to the doors. I was also extremley unpresentable, swetty, covered in sawdust, and smelled funny. I hung them on the stand-alone mailboxes, or put them in the newspaper slot if it wasn't obstructed by a newspaper. I understand it is illegal to put them in the actual mailbox, or the mailman has the right to remove it. My question is, if they haven't responded in the first few days, should I assume that they are not interested?
  2. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Nail them again, and hit up another 1500 for a good response. How many customers do you want?
  3. Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care LawnSite Member

As many as I can get! I really want this to work, want to go full time, and know it will take a lot of hard work to get there. I would like to get 50 or 60 lawns, I think that I can handle that many alone.
  4. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

If their lawns look like they need it, then GO TALK to them. dont wait for them to call you, beat their door down. If its only 8-10" now, its probably been mowed Most of mine grow that much in a week.
  5. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I've got calls about 3 weeks after putting flyers out. I've heard others here say they get called the following year from flyers.

But if you want to go full time and want 50-60 customers, you REALLY need to get several thousand flyers out there! You'll be lucky if you get even one call from 15 flyers.

Good luck though.
  6. Firefighter Dave

Firefighter Dave LawnSite Member

Mr.Stripey Lawn Care

I read somewhere on here a while back that fliers will only get you aprox. 1-2 % response. This year I put out aprox. 100-150 fliers and only three calls.... I am happy with that, one because I canvased the areas I wanted and two, these now have paid for my flyer cost.

Good Luck,

:blob2: :blob2:
  7. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

For 50 clients I say you would have to put out about 25,000 fliers. No joke... thats been my return lately. That is putting them in the newspaper, having your local paper deliver them for you on a charge per thousand. For some crazy reason, when I put them into newspaper boxes myself, I get a better return, about 1-2%, maybe its cause the client sees the flier standing alone? I dont know... PM me if you want more info.
  8. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I just recently put a flier in our local free paper that is distributed to around 5700 residents. So far I have recieved about 25 calls. From those calls we have received about 9 weekly mowing customers and around 6 clean-ups. The flier was put out a little over a week ago and still getting about 2 calls per day. I am not thrilled with the results but hopefully this new customer base will generate more word of mouth referals.
  9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I've averaged 1% call backs from fliers. If you want business you need to put out 1500 fliers NOT 15.
  10. Terry Somers

Terry Somers LawnSite Member

My Wife stays home during the day and when She takes the baby for a walk She put fliers on mailbox flags or in between sceen doors. I would say She has handed out 100 fliers. I have gotten 3 jobs. One is a stone job, the other two are clean-ups, hedge trimming and weekly lawn care.