1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Restarting new front lawn need some help.

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bobby5, Apr 5, 2010.

1. bobby5

bobby5 LawnSite Member

I dont have much experience with lawns and im redoing my front lawn because the previous owner of my house had a circle gravel driveway going through the middle of it and decided they didnt want it anymore and just through some dirt over the gravel and now grass doesnt grow very good there. im haveing someone come in this weekend with a bobcat and dig up the gravel about 6 inches where the gravel was and then put top soil on top. Im gonna go ahead and get them to scrap all the grass off the rest of the front lawn so i can start over. My question is after they dug it all up and put topsoil down what would be the best steps in making a beautiful lawn? What grass seed to get what kind of fertilizer, put straw down etc? Any help would be appreciated.

2. 1999frontier

1999frontier LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Depends on your location as to what type of grass to seed. Where are you located?
  3. bobby5

bobby5 LawnSite Member

im located in southern indiana
  4. GrassStitcher

GrassStitcher LawnSite Member

Turf type fescue / perennial rye with 10% blue grass is my favorite. insect resistant, blue fills in and great look. Low nitrogen fertilizer, some kind off mulch - straw has weed seeds so try some kind on penn mulch or weed free straw. Make sure to keep moist for next two weeks, DON'T LET DRY OUT. Keep in mind spring is not the best time, expect weeds / crabgrass this summer, you will need to touch up in the fall.
  5. bobby5

bobby5 LawnSite Member

when would be the best time to do this? Fall? Should i till up the soil before i spread grass seed?
  6. GrassStitcher

Fall is the ideal time but you can do in spring and touch up in fall. With the Grass Stitcher there is no tilling, just roll it over the area and spread seed. It creates the needed soil / seed contact and an extra wide hole to accept seed.
  7. bobby5

bobby5 LawnSite Member

Is there any way i can make my lawn look halfway decent until fall? I wonder if that grass stitcher would work in the area i need for grass to grow?
  8. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Sticher is right. Fall is better. Start about Aug 15. Kill old grass. remove old sod, till and reseed starting about Late Aug or Sept 1 in your area--I would estimate. Seed when temps come down to about 80 during the day. Include starter fertilizer, and follow up with slow release fertilizer at 30 and 60 days later. Stay with top-quality seed, as Stich described above. Scotts is usually a good choice. Or go mail order if you want to go better yet. Irrigate every day for 30 days.
  9. GrassStitcher

FYI - If anyone wants to try a Grass Stitcher, I just enacted a 100 guarantee you'll be happy policy, if for any reason its not what you thought it would be I'll refund your money, along with the 100% lifetime warranty on the entire tool.

Plus anyone viewing this post I will give free shipping (about a $14.00 value) till the end of this month if you call (860-365-8012) and said you read this on Lawnsite.
  10. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice there.

If you want the best tilling results I suggest renting a Toro Dingo with the Toro Soil Cultivator. That way you help break up the compacted root zone and have a perfect seed bed in one pass.

Here is my take on seedings though. Fall is the best suggested time to start a lawn. You can seed this time of year but you will need to babysit it the first 2 weeks in order to make sure that you have the correct moisture content without being over-watered, or under watered to get good germination.